Now what the heck does this mean??

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mentioned earlier that we brought a new cat into the house and the resident cats are slowly accepting him.  Usually, I keep Charlie upstairs at night since I can't supervise the cats while sleeping.  It's been pretty quiet between the cats the last couple of days so I let Charlie stay downstairs with us. He roamed the house meowing, occasionally jumping on my bed to go to the window, but not settling down at all.  At one point I heard my Siamese "hunting" like he does every night (he usually "catches" stuffed animals and rolled up socks), but otherwise I have no idea where the resident cats were.  I was still awake reading in bed and got up at one point and stepped into a puddle of cat pee on the hardwood floor right next to my bed!  What the heck??  It was right next to me and I never heard it happen.  I'm assuming it was Charlie because he's the only one that came into the room (that I'm aware of), but why would he do that? It wasn't sprayed on the bed or anything, just a big ol' puddle like he couldn't hold it anymore.  We have plenty of litter boxes that he has full access to so I know that isn't it.   Any ideas?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I don't know, but if I were you, I'd get an appointment with the vet asap in case it's a UTI. That's one of the only reasons I can think of if it's not happened before. You definitely want to rule that out. He could be in some pain if he has one. Best to get treated asap. Better to be safe than sorry & get to the vet.

I hope he's ok. keep us posted. In the meanwhile, keep a close eye on him for frequent trips to the litter box, etc... even if you don't notice anything different, I'd still take him, just to be sure, especially if it can be caught early on. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't even think of a UTI. Thanks, I'll let you guys know what I find out.

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took all 3 kitties to the vet today. No UTI, but Charlie did pick up Giardia protozoa, and all three kitties have fleas
     The good news is it looks like I caught everything before things got too bad.  The vet said that the Giardia wouldn't really cause Charlie pain so he doesn't think that's why Charlie constantly meows and has peed on the floor a few times.  So, some medicine, Frontline, and a whole lot of patience is all we need.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, glad you got them in. I wasn't familiar with that, so I googled it & found a good artical that may be useful to you. Especially toward the end, it gives advice on cleaning & also suggest bathing the cats, because it can cling to the fur. It is contagious, so be careful & good luck with everything.
Also, since it has to do with the intestines, did they also give you, or suggest probiotics? I thought they may also be helpful. ....I would think .

Anyway, so glad you caught it. Here's the link to what I found, if you want to read it. Just be careful cleaning with bleach, as it suggest. I have heard on here of kitties getting very sick from bleach fumes.
I'd put them in another part of the house while you do it, just to be on the safe side. You be careful too. ;)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=738

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the link; that looks like some very good info :)