Now We Have Litter box Attacks

conje

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening everyone. A little recap: I have an older male cat, Salem, and a young female cat, Winifred. For almost a couple of weeks they have finally been getting along, although Salem is still attacking Winifred, every once in a while, and periodically even their new playtime turns to aggression. Yesterday, I witnessed him attacking her while she was going potty. A couple of times later, I had to shoo him away. I witnessed him attacking her twice today while going potty. Does anyone know if this is behavior that can be resolved or do I just need to go ahead and put her back in "her room" several times a day so she can go in peace, and make it off limits to him again? It wouldn't be a problem while someone is here, but I would hate to leave her in there a long time while I'm away. Especially since she is more comfortable in the rest of the house now and she hates staying in the room unless I stay in there with her.

Your advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

CJ

I edited to add they've actually been eating together, and watching out the windows together without any problems so I don't understand why he still wants to attack her. My hubby says he's mad because this is His house and she's intruding.

Last edited:

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have?  I have 3, but at one point had 4 when we were introducing our second cat into the household.  I had the same scenario going on.  My resident cat waited until the newcomer got in the litter box (by this point they were getting along well at all other times) and then would attack.  I added another box and it stopped.

Do you have room to add another box?  Maybe far away from the "attack" box and in her room?

I had thought a box for each, then plus an extra, would suffice.  But it took having that 4th one for a few months before the older cat would share and leave him alone to potty!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You do need at least 2 litter boxes, and likely three.  And not all lined up, not all in the same room.  That 'should' help improve the situation.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You do need at least 2 litter boxes, and likely three.  And not all lined up, not all in the same room.  That 'should' help improve the situation.
I concur completely.

If you don't have enough room to separate them in different rooms, put up screens so they can poop and pee in private, though this isn't foolproof.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good evening everyone. A little recap: I have an older male cat, Salem, and a young female cat, Winifred. For almost a couple of weeks they have finally been getting along, although Salem is still attacking Winifred, every once in a while, and periodically even their new playtime turns to aggression. Yesterday, I witnessed him attacking her while she was going potty. A couple of times later, I had to shoo him away. I witnessed him attacking her twice today while going potty. Does anyone know if this is behavior that can be resolved or do I just need to go ahead and put her back in "her room" several times a day so she can go in peace, and make it off limits to him again? It wouldn't be a problem while someone is here, but I would hate to leave her in there a long time while I'm away. Especially since she is more comfortable in the rest of the house now and she hates staying in the room unless I stay in there with her.

Your advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

CJ

I edited to add they've actually been eating together, and watching out the windows together without any problems so I don't understand why he still wants to attack her. My hubby says he's mad because this is His house and she's intruding.
I agree that you should add some litter boxes. Are your cats spayed and neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

conje

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have several litter boxes, and both kitties have been fixed. I should have reiterated that point from my other posts. Salem has also attacked her at the box in her room. It hasn't been every time, and not at one particular location. When Winifred was getting used to being in her new home, she wouldn't use any of them, except for the one in her room. I was so happy she was starting to feel comfortable and accepting. I just want to know if anyone has found a solution or idea, other than more litter boxes, they have tried, or maybe something unusual...something outside the box, so to speak.

Last edited:

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have a box for each plus an extra, I'd still consider adding another.  Other than that, and the idea of creating privacy around the box with a screen or such, I'm not sure any other interventions will actually work, short of separating them. 

Having gone through this, I know how frustrating it is for you.  Geez, everybody deserves peace in the potty!  We really didn't know what to do, other than for a while, before adding the 4th box, we would quickly snatch up Wurp if he started heading towards Shortstack in the litter box.  IF we were home.  Now while we were gone, if he had to do his business, he was just on his own.   We never could come up with a resolution other than separating them. 

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was the 4th box that truly solved the issue.  It may have just been a matter of time and them working it out on their own.  I mean we would snatch him up repeatedly, but that really didn't do any good. Actually, none of their issues really were resolved until Shortstack started standing up for himself, I think that was the turning point in their relationship.  It may just be that you have to let them work it out on their own, even if a few altercations occur (as long as there's no bloodshed).  It sounds like they are getting along fine otherwise.

At the point we were having all the issues, Shortstack was still going to his "safe room" and barricaded off at night with 3 baby gates to spend the night without having to watch over his shoulder, but other than the box issue, they were well on their way to tolerating each other and becoming buddies.  His separation at night allowed time to go use his box in peace.  We still notice he saves his major business until bedtime, and I often wonder if it came from the habit of waiting to go until we had put him in "his room" at bedtime.

I don't have any other advice (hopefully someone else does and will chime in!) other than ride it out.  As long as there are no inappropriate elimination issues, it may just be the best course of action to let them sort it out on their own.  Ultimately, that is what it will come down to anyway.