Now Oscar is sneezing!

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted a little over a week ago about my cat Kattie getting an upper respiratory infection. She is doing better after a week and a round of antibiotics to prevent secondary infection. Well now my other cat Oscar, is pretty miserable. Hecis young about a year and a half and never been sick before. He is snotty and not grooming as much and so doesn't look as sleek. His appetite has lowered but isn't completely gone. He is acting a little less active and isn't as mischievous as usual. He was also on antibiotics as the doctor said it would be fine although it is a virus that they have. His snot is clear and his eyes aren't really runny, but he is sneezing all the time and I feel real bad for him. His little nose is so red from all the sneezing,( it is normally pink because he is an orange kitty). Is therevanything else I can do for him? I know that it has to run it's course but the poor baby is miserable. Plus I am hoping he will be better by Christmas because I am taking him , Kattie and my dog with me to my parents for a few days, and I don't want him to stress out. He isn't normally an easily stressed cat and goes with the flow usually. Plus he knows my parents house as we were there during the summer. Anything else I should do? He is taking his last antibiotic today, but not over the virus so I hope that a bacterial infection doesn't develop. I will call the vet tomorrow to see if he thinks that I need to refill more antibiotics. Also is there anything I can give him to boost his immune system?

raincloud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely call the vet, if you haven't already. If he's done with his antibiotics but he's still sick, I'd think he needs to go back to the vet to re-evaluate. If he had finished the antibiotics, got better, and then got sick again, I'd guess allergy but that's not what happened...

<- not an expert!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Oscar, he went into the vet today. His URI is a little worse than Kattie's. The vet said that his heart and lungs sound fine and he doesn't have a fever. He did give me more antibiotics that are a little stronger. He still has the clear discharge though so no bacterial infection which we are trrying to keep at bay. I feel so bad for him though. He is so congested and the vet said there isn't really anything that you can give them for that. I have heard of saline drops and such but he really needs some sort of decongestant I think. He is eating, but not that much because his nose is so stuffed up. He should be starting to get better soon so hopefully he will be fine by next Wednesday.