Now my cat prefers me!!

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted and raised a 10-15 days old kitten whose mother was missing. While he was a baby, he preferred me above my husband. But that changed when he was about 6-7 months old. My husband was working all day, and when he came home, he would take a nap in his lap, and then they would play for about an hour, sometimes more. At that time, more or less I ceased to exist when my husband was home. He slept on his side of the bed, followed him around the house, asked him for food or play whenever he wanted. Lately, my husband hasn't played that much with him. My cat doesn't like toys anymore, and it's getting more and more difficult to keep him entertained, apart from chasing us. I've always played with him but for about 5 minutes at a time, whenever he followed me around the house when my husband wasn't home.

Suddenly, all that has changed. He's always with me, on me, on my side on the bed, on my lap... My husband acts as if it ok, but I think he must be hurting, like I was when Robin started ignoring me when my husband was around.

I don't think there has been any change in my husband's behaviour, or in mine. Can you think of any reason what he has changed so suddenly??

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he can't make up his mind! I wouldn't worry about it, most cat's pick one person in the house and claim them as theirs, you are lucky to have one that can switch. It sounds like he switches to the one that pays more attention to him. Have your husband start feeding him or giving him treats, he might switch again!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats often go back and forth when bonded to two humans. You can also experiment to see if its where you are sitting, rather than who is sitting there.
Ghost for example always lays on my lap. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with that I sit in "his" spot. When he's asking me to pick him up in the morning, that's something to do with me and not what I'm doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mistery solved!!!!

I was feeling unwell these last weeks, so I had an electric blanket in bed at nights, and a thicker, softer throw blanket on the sofa. He prefers warm beds, that's all!!!

Now I'm feeling well, he's back to my husband's lap. Aren't them cats egocentric!!!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mistery solved!!!!

I was feeling unwell these last weeks, so I had an electric blanket in bed at nights, and a thicker, softer throw blanket on the sofa. He prefers warm beds, that's all!!!

Now I'm feeling well, he's back to my husband's lap. Aren't them cats egocentric!!!!
Haha! Oh cats. It's frequently environmental more than about love for where they choose to sit.

But! It does still mean that your cat is comfortable with you both and trusts you enough to lay on you.