Now I'm ready (long...sorry)

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eileen, I don't have any advice, but I'm sure that once you convince them (legally or otherwise) you will a huge asset to your clients (or whatever you call them). I can't imagine anyone more sincere and dedicated. In my mind, you are a lot like Sally Fields in "The Flying Nun." I was a little kid when I watched it, but I remember how heartfelt and strong she was in everything she did.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update!! {{{prayers & vibes}}} for encouragement and success in your efforts.. I hope you find an "Atticus Finch" (from To Kill A Mockingbird) kind of attorney!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that there are three issues here:

1. Your right to be given equal consideration, even for a volunteer position.

2. The right of female officers, victims, and suspects to have access to a female chaplain. (Can you imagine a rape victim trying to talk to a male priest?)

3. The patently false assertion that confidentiality cannot be assured unless you are ordained. Lawyers are not ordained, yet they can go to jail or be disbarred if they breach client confidentiality. Doctors are not ordained, yet there is a long tradition of doctor/patient confidentiality (often breached these days by the power of the insurance lobby, but that's another discussion). There is surely some sort of document that could protect you, as a chaplain, from being compelled to testify.

I think this may be something the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) would be interested in. They should be careful not to make it a media circus, as they sometimes do, because part of what you're promising the department is discretion -- but I think they might help you.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the support, feedback and advice. You guys are so awesome!
Will keep you posted!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that anyone can become an ordained minister of their own church by having 2 followers. If you want to be difficult, you could start the church of I love Kittycats, and declare yourself the minister and be ordained. I don't know if this would conflict with your views, but it is one way to have confidentiality apply!

Change is always hard, but it sounds like you have a calling for this job, so it needs to be done! Maybe you can talk to the priests that already do this, to see if they can help you if you apply again.

Prayers that God works to make this happen for you, so you can help in ways a man could not.