Now I know I'm crazy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Well Pepi can't be lonely! Therefore it was necessary to get him a companion of his own species!
We actually had Pepsi and Loki both out tonight and Loki is not friendly towards Pepsi
The lady who sold us Loki said he's a sweetheart, loves attention but gets jealous of other birds. I have to watch them. Loki will try to pull out Pepsi's tailfeathers. I think he KNOWS he's bigger then Pepsi

[/quote]Short lesson:

Parakeet actually is a descriptive of any member of the parrot family that has a long and tapering tail.

Lesson over [/quote]

I didn't know that! Thanks!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had any parrots that weren't totally jealous of other parrots.
Abby is also jealous if I focus my attention on people, cats, dog, phone, she pretty much thinks nothing and no-one deserves my time except her.

I can have both out and on my shoulders, but they do this funny 'king of the hill' type thing as they vye for my left shoulder.
Now I wonder what makes my left shoulder so special.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I have never had any parrots that weren't totally jealous of other parrots.
Abby is also jealous if I focus my attention on people, cats, dog, phone, she pretty much thinks nothing and no-one deserves my time except her.

I can have both out and on my shoulders, but they do this funny 'king of the hill' type thing as they vye for my left shoulder.
Now I wonder what makes my left shoulder so special.

Loki likes to climb as high as possible on my head to show Pepsi he's going to be king of the castle... He'll spread his wings and bob up and down and make a clicking noise...
I
everytime he does it... he only does it when he see's Pepsi is out too

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor sis-in-laws has been molting sence she's had him, he has alway's looked terrible, I have no idea why they do that. Could it be from living in a house full of nuts ?
Not a happy camper is what I think, it's sad to because I know he should not look like that.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Short lesson:

Parakeet actually is a descriptive of any member of the parrot family that has a long and tapering tail.

Lesson over
I must be blind I saw where she put that's what he was and it didn't register
I know my sis-in-law kept telling me it was going to get big and I told her I don't think they get to big
Her's has never even attempted to talk just squaks. Maybe doesn't get enough attention is what it is. I think it's the enviorment they live in to, not a very peaceful home
I have had a few birds but don't really know that much,

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I must be blind I saw where she put that's what he was and it didn't register
I know my sis-in-law kept telling me it was going to get big and I told her I don't think they get to big
Her's has never even attempted to talk just squaks. Maybe doesn't get enough attention is what it is. I think it's the enviorment they live in to, not a very peaceful home
I have had a few birds but don't really know that much,
The males talk alot more and clear then the females do. Does he have a ring around it's neck? What color is it?
Maybe he's molting due to diet? Or it could very well be stress
GAWD I hope Loki doesn't do it. This house is hectic
and I could see how it can happen. But he seems to fit right in with us all
He LOVES to pick on Pepsi. Just like my kids do. Just because they're younger doesn't mean they aren't going to be bigger and meaner

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diet plays a factor as does stress and environment.
Birds are so very sensitive to everything.

As far as diet goes, if you can't convert a seed eater to pellets and fresh foods (raw and cooked), I've always had great success feeding sprouted bird seed.

Ideally though, the bulk of their diet should be fresh foods, with pellets for nibbling and seed once or twice a week.
Birds are like kids though, very picky, and not big on trying new things

I give mine a good quality pellet, anything and everything off my own plate that is healthy, sprouted seed and extra sprouted seed and fresh seed twice a year during moult.

Things to avoid with birds in the house:
Smoking (big duh there
)
Non-stick cookware (I use mine on very low heat and always with the range vent fan running.
Anything burning, this includes candles and incense.
Anything with fumes.

And some birds just naturally look bad

Abby looks ratty all the time, but mostly that's due to age.
Murphy looks ruffled too, but that's because he plays hard and doesn't care if his feathers get completely messed up.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he doesn't look good never has, it's a male I know that. Never tried to talk as far as I know, probably can't get a word in edge wise there anyway
Its a total mess they have no routine there, she had 7 dogs 4shih suz,don't think that's spelled right a pom and a german shepard had 4 cats and the bird she is down now to 3 little dogs and 1 german shepard all the little ones do is bark among other bad habits, someones alway's yelling, she's always talking to someone else while your on the phone and the bird is squaking in the back ground, never know what time you will get your food, It's like F Troop there
I think it does impact the animals when there's no routine, but then maybe I'm crazy but I think it's important to have it close to the same everyday.. Mine are my first priority besides hubby, duh that's all there is
Wow I like it here with hubby, 8 cats, 1 basset hound it's very quite here