Now, be honest, how many of you...

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyCity

I don't watch it much because the kids drive me crazy. I'm guessing we are probably seeing the "worst of the worst" but still... I can't believe what brats they are. I would NEVER have gotten away with that kind of behavior when I was a kid.
I don't think it really matters that Supernanny doesn't have kids of her own. You spend enough time around kids, you learn a lot about how they tick. And I think she brings a certain amount of objectivity. Parents often have so much emotional investment that they can't be objective, therefore they are ineffectual at recognizing and solving problems.
I agree with you!!

I understand not wanting other people to tell you how to raise your own.
With some of these kids, someone needs to take control. If they are hitting a parent at 4yrs old can you imagine what they will be capable of at 15yrs old.
Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the show! I just hope that my kids are never that bad...but usually at the end of the show, the kids are all changed for the better, right?

I have only seen a few episodes, but I like it!

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyCity

I don't think it really matters that Supernanny doesn't have kids of her own. You spend enough time around kids, you learn a lot about how they tick. And I think she brings a certain amount of objectivity. Parents often have so much emotional investment that they can't be objective, therefore they are ineffectual at recognizing and solving problems.
Yup, I totally agree with that. And I love Supernanny and Nanny 911.

And...totally off topic but I can't stop laughing because Tola just stuck her little head in my big mug of latte, and I guess she inhaled a bit of foam or maybe licked a bit of coffee and promptly sneezed, licked her lips and ran away!! Next thing you know she'll be begging for coffee AND food in the morning!! LOL.

Ok, back on topic!! I don't think you have to HAVE kids in order to understand them, rather, having kids enables you to better understand what it's like to be a parent. But these parents need help with thier children's behavior AND parenting style. And in the end, the supernanny or nanny 911 always makes things better and run smoother, so that has to tell you something.

ALTHOUGH - i did watch nanny 911 last weekend and one of the things she immediately stopped was the kids sleeping with the mom and dad. I"m not sure I agree with that, I mean, that is the mom's choice, and I didn't quite understand what that had to do with the kid's behavior. I am undecided on the kids sleeping with parents issue. I think if I had gotten to sleep with my parents I would have been more secure with their love, and myself as a person. But hey, who knows......

What do you all think about that?

mercymanic

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a rather interesting, yet loaded topic for me. I am a live in housekeeper and nanny myself. My employers were my friends for a decade before they had Connor, my little charge. No I don't have kids of my own.

I would never have the nads to say even a fraction of the things this lady gets away with saying to parents. Although there have been a few times when I really wished I could.

Supernanny, (The UK version) just rocks. I'm not that good but there are a lot of power issues between me and the mom of my family. Still I do get ideas and tips from that show sometimes.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

ALTHOUGH - i did watch nanny 911 last weekend and one of the things she immediately stopped was the kids sleeping with the mom and dad. I"m not sure I agree with that, I mean, that is the mom's choice, and I didn't quite understand what that had to do with the kid's behavior. I am undecided on the kids sleeping with parents issue. I think if I had gotten to sleep with my parents I would have been more secure with their love, and myself as a person. But hey, who knows......

What do you all think about that?
I think that a child should never be let to sleep int he parents bed every night. Even as an infant, it should havie a bbassinette in the bedroom, and then once it is meant to sleep through the night, be put in his or her own room, where they are expected to sleep. I mean if a kids sleeping with YOU everynight, when do you get mommy and daddy time?