Novel protein diet

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has been diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease, primarily based on symptoms, not extensive testing. For several months she's been on a novel/special proteins diet, being fed wet and dry varieties from Royal Canin. The wet variety she's been on is RC rabbit; I just learned the other day at a vet visit that there's also a duck variety, and I have a few sample cans of that. Some days my girl eats ravenously, others she's not very interested. She only weighs about 7 pounds and was down a few ounces at her visit last week. I"m afraid that some day I'll find she won't eat either of the RC varieties, so I've been researching other brands. preferably available without prescription (however, my vet would probably write a prescription if I made a good case for trying something they don't normally stock). I don't want to throw a lot of new foods at her. What's a good way to introduce something new? Alternate it with the familiar food? I serve her wet food at least three times a day, more if she seems interested, although in smaller amounts. I could alternate the foods at different times. Or is best to switch to a new one exclusively, after gradually introducing it, so that I can determine if it makes any difference ih her appetite and symptoms? It breaks my heart to see her so thin, especially when her sister probably needs to be put on a diet to lose a pound or two, and I want to ensure that I have a supply of food that she likes and will tolerate.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to ensure that I have a supply of food that she likes and will tolerate.
Hi! It's so wise to think about it this way.

What's a good way to introduce something new? Alternate it with the familiar food?
You could try the alternating method, but I think you'll get more definitive results with switching to a new one esclusively.

Comicsbooksandcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe try slowly mixing in the new food with her existing diet? I’ve been trying to feed Maggie different things mixed in with her Tiki Cat because she was bored of chicken and so far it seems to be working. I’ve had fairly good results with the Orijen regional red and Ziwi Peak Venison thus far; still trying the Ziwi lamb and lamb/ mackerel. Are there any toppers that wouldn’t affect her IBD that you could also serve as a snack?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't use any toppers, but I would like to know if there are any treats I could give her, something along the lines of the novel proteins. I have stopped giving my other cat any treats because, as sisters, the two of them are together about 99% of the time, and I can't risk tossing out some treats for the healthy cat without the IBD kitty getting hold of one. I think I saw some hydrolyzed protein treats from Royal Canin when I was looking for that variety of dried food. I don't know if I need a prescription. I have one for the dried food that might work, or I could get the vet to write one that's more specific.

ShrimpusMinniemus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My IBD cat did quite well on Farmina Wild Boar&Apple canned food. He also liked the Lamb & Blueberry, but I noticed change in stool and learned that Lamb is an irritant for IBD. Most of the time though, he got used to and enjoyed raw food. That was the true game changer. Home made even better. Dry food is irritating and literally dries the cat out.
I would stay away from vet prescribed foods, as they are in my opinion (and as shown in the 'Pet Fooled' documentary) generally not the best quality overall. It would compare to our doctors selling us highly processed canned or dried food ;)
Whichever way chosen however, slow intro to new food is key with most cats - while others can switch freely as they would in the wild.
If mixing doesn't work, adding a little to the same plate and see what they go for. Even if it's just a lick or two the first times, it's progress :yess: