(nothing to do with cats i know) Dog needs Fattening food...

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey!
I have a kitten and a dog and My dog has been losing too much weight from not enough protein. So I was wondering if anyone knows a GREAT dog food that can hold enough protein and vitamins to help him gain a little weight. Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what are you feeding now?? that will give a baseline

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

what are you feeding now?? that will give a baseline
At this point we've been switching foods a lot.

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a Great Dane, Male, And he's turning 3 in less then a week.

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So he pretty much eats a lot but stays the same weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
check out nutros NC high energy and Royal Canins high active ( i think thats whats called), premium edge makes a high energy .... I actually had one great dane doing great on nutros ultra

current wt and ideal wt??

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well about a year ago he was 200 pounds which was pretty chubby for a 1.5 year old dog. I don't know wha the is now but hes definately below 200, maybe 140? or less?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here is my suggestion mix some high energy food with some puppy ( please ask the vet first) that is what i did for my dog to get a little wt back on... Has he been tested for worms??

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went on a PRO website that shows the best kinds of food for different dog breeds and it says Great Danes do best on "people food" such as fresh meat and fruits and veggies (my dog ADORES carrots and apples)

katwoman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea I believe he was tested for worms.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KaTwOmAn

I went on a PRO website that shows the best kinds of food for different dog breeds and it says Great Danes do best on "people food" such as fresh meat and fruits and veggies (my dog ADORES carrots and apples)
hey i will not knock fruits and veggies ... my Gigi loves veggies and the cats love fruits...

the best diet is what works... I work as a demonstror for a pet food company and that is how I learned much of different breeds... your great dane is now approuching adulthood ( ie hell stop growing) .... I would normally recommend a good large breed formula but I have found that danes are okay off of them past 12-18 months... Ideally there would be a lrg breed high energy but I dont know of any... So I gave the second option... high energy regular ... The nutro has 30 protein and 20 fat compared to lge breed adult at 26 and 12 for the chn formula and 24 and 11 for the beef and I will look up the lamb but i think its between the chn and the beef

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

hi, i have dogs and i feed them homemade. to boost the protien in your dog's diet you could add a few meals a week of fresh foods like meat and veggies... if you are not comfortable with raw it is fine to feed cooked. if you do a google on homemade diets for dogs you will find loads of recipes. i think that some real foods are a beneficial addition to any dog's diet, skinny or not.

you might also want to look into a food that is designed for working dogs that burn a lot of calories. sometimes these are called "performance" foods.

did the vet say that he needed more protien? i only ask because when i started feeding my dogs a homemade diet they both lost weight because i am not feeding them grains, sort of like a doggy atkins. if i notice them getting too skinny i sometimes bulk up their meals with more carbs instead of more protien, like oatmeal, rice and lentils.

straykat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have rescued three Great Danes I feed mine Diamond 60+ one of my rescues was way to thin so i fed her Satin balls three times a day plus her regular food . With a Great Dane you don't want high protien also I would take in a fecal (stool sample) it could be worms or garrdia(sp?) also has he been on heartworm preventive if not he needs a HW test.

Also My other female can't eat Lamb and rice dog food she get diarrhea.
Even if your dog loves veggie there bodies don't us it.

Check out http://www.danesonline.com/dc/dcboard.php they can help you

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Straykat

Even if your dog loves veggie there bodies don't us it.
true if you feed whole raw veggies, but if you blend them up in the blender or the food processor your dog will be able to use them. even so, i know quite a few people who believe that dog's dont need veggies at all.