Notched Ear?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hope this is the right place for this post.

So I'd heard about vets notching or clipping the ears of neutered or spayed cats so people are aware. I had wondered if that's what that notch was on my cat's right ear, but it's so perfectly placed that I thought maybe she was born that way. It's right in between the black and brown near the tip of her ear if you can see it.

So I just realized (duh! I know) that it must be notched to show she's spayed. Would the rescue shelter she lived at for 7 months have done that, you think? Or do you think she was captured previously, spayed, and released in a cat colony? It was a kill shelter that she went to first before the rescue shelter saved her. I called because I was curious and they said animal control picked her up because someone called about her.

I'm just curious. I almost want to call the rescue shelter to find out if they notch their kitties, but I don't want to bother them.

Attachments

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but from what I understand for TNR it is normally much more noticeable than that.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. The notch would be larger. Do call the shelter and ask about it. Then you will know whether she's been spayed or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I had expected her ear to be more notched, so thought she was born that way, but when I searched for "notched cat ears," I came across some with similar small notches, but can't seem to attach the photos.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. The notch would be larger. Do call the shelter and ask about it. Then you will know whether she's been spayed or not.
Oh, sorry for any confusion. I know she's been spayed. I've had her for almost 4 years now. I just got curious again recently. :petcat:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That isn't a spay or neuter mark. Do you have other cats? They can get that from fighting, playing rough, or just from life. I have had so many cats that have them or get them.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
That isn't a spay or neuter mark. Do you have other cats? They can get that from fighting, playing rough, or just from life. I have had so many cats that have them or get them.
Oh, okay. Thanks. She's an only child. Must have been from before then?

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
This guy had the same idea as me and the two ginger cats are his and his mother's. Apparently, we both thought maybe some vets do the notching this way. Doesn't matter, but my cat's is so perfectly sliced right where the black and tan meet so it makes me wonder.

Feral Cat Ear Notching

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my old girl Checkers. I’ve always wondered how she got this notch in her ear. She was outside on her own for a few years before she adopted me so it could have been anything.
BBAB962B-3440-4B23-B2C4-A6B9FFCF9435.jpeg

This is a local I call mama kitty. But she is mama no more. I TSR’d her and she’s got the ear to show for it.
4C42D523-54C3-4B21-B93E-B69C98E7D253.jpeg

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Mika was a mommy out on the street before she was TNR'd (then adopted by me off the street). They left no confusion on if she had been spayed -- a little extreme in my opinion though.

Attachments

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mikameek mikameek she's so cute! Yeah, extreme. :)
Thank you! She's been such a blessing in my life! I love her to pieces!

My sister-in-law picked up a cat for my niece a few years back from the Humane Society near them and she had a huge tattoo covering a good majority of her belly to indicate she was spayed. My sister-in-law still gets heated about it. :/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little notches usually are caused by a cat bite close to the edge of the ear so that it tears all the way to the edge. Most cats who have been outdoors have some little chips in their ears.

Usually a spay/neuter notch is larger; the point is to be obvious, after all. I have some notched cats whose ears just look like natural raggedy-ness now, after 8 years, so I think that's why the straight-across cut is more popular now. Much less likely to be a natural occurrence.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree to what Willowy said. When they tip the ear its going to be very obvious. You won't be left questioning is that an ear tip or just a cut?

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The little notches usually are caused by a cat bite close to the edge of the ear so that it tears all the way to the edge. Most cats who have been outdoors have some little chips in their ears.

Usually a spay/neuter notch is larger; the point is to be obvious, after all. I have some notched cats whose ears just look like natural raggedy-ness now, after 8 years, so I think that's why the straight-across cut is more popular now. Much less likely to be a natural occurrence.
Oh, okay. Thanks very much. How sad my cat was in fights while she lived outdoors then. She also has a missing patch of fur. No wonder she's so happy indoors and never wants to go outdoors.