Not yet ready to adopt...

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After gentle went I did feel her sometimes. I heard her bell and it wasn't lotto. He was in bed with me and another time I felt her weight on the bed and it wasn't lotto. His was under my sheet every night.
I miss that. Having him so close and when I'd been out and changed my clothes he liked to rub his head in the cups of my bra. Oh lotto.

mikeykitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After Cosmo died in June, I was (and still am ) so devastated. I thought I would never be able to get another cat. The loneliness was sooo overwhelming in my apartment. Believe it or not, I went out and  got a kitten the very day he died. I could not stand the silence in here.

I cried and cried and the kitten just looked at me like "What's wrong with you, lady?"

Everyone is different. Do what feels best for you.

For me, getting Mikey was a great choice. AT first, I thought maybe I was being too impulsive, but I wasn't. I am glad I adopted.

Take your time... it's ok

******HUGS*****

P.S. I still cry about Cosmo (and his brother Kramer who died 2 years ago). The ache is still there. I miss them everyday.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I so missed the weight and warmth lotto gave me when he sat on my lap.
The family made me wait to get another cat as I was very week when I came out of hospital with hemoglobin of 8. I had to beg to be let out. So when I came home I wouldn't have had the strength to deal with them.
But now I have my whisky and blighty who is going tomorrow to lose his manhood poor baby.
Blighty is being washed by whisky.

djoe

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jlc20m.
8 years ago (when I already had Lucy a very territorial adopted cat) I was woken up at night by the meow of a kitten; which ofcourse meant no sleep for me, and panic.
As soon as sunrise I was fetching for that kitten. ... I was calling psss psss psss and she responded meow meow. The sound still rings in my ears.

I found one lonely kitten. Extremely beautiful tricoloured patched girl. She was too young to eat or drink on her own. I kept waiting all day for her mom to show up.
In the afternoon I took her and showed her to every cat on tge neighbourhood. None was her mommy.

I didn't want to risk her mom coming back and not finding ger so I put hee back but then again, past midnight I couldn't stand her meowing.
I got her and held her and syringe fed her and cleaned her...
The poor babygirl was in my lap suckling on my hands 24h a day..... but she could onlu stay foe a week.....

Betty was her name..... I only had her ffora week but I loved her the moment I heard her, before I even see her, and she knew it.

Since then I refused to get emotionally attached to ny more pets.... until this year 3 orphaned kittens showed up in my life.

My point is, don't limit your emotions with time....time is irrelevant. I as I read everybody s threads now I cried like it waa yesterday. I atill have betty's smell in my nose.

Please don't condition yourself. And never think that your love for your Bella will change. Do what in your heart to do. And it is OK to cry and to love new pets. It will be you and Bella taking care of them together. ...

I wish you all the best... big hug

kmd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost our 10 year old Elmo to congestive heart failure in late 2011. It was about 8 weeks after his death we started a dialogue with the local pet rescue about adopting another, and we decided to get an adult cat - that so many folks want a kitten we would be doing something really great getting an adult. The pet rescue sent me photos and bios and I couldn't stand to look - it was like you said - you want to give them all a chance. These were being fostered at lady's house (actually, a rather famous novelist who keeps 10 fosters at a time in a rather large house), but our discussion turned to, WHEN we get this next cat, THAT would open up another foster place for a deserving cat... so not only would we be adopting an adult, we would be opening up a spot for another cat to be fostered.

The second cat in the photos was as tortie with her tongue sticking out. I asked about her immediately and got the report, she was smallish, a year and half old, skittish and shy. We took her.

Did we get her too soon? Probably, our grief was so so deep. Did she help heal us? YES.

Slowly her personality started coming out (our then 13 year old, now 15 year old wasn't happy to see the new cat) after she and our older cat started getting along better. Now, slightly less than 2 years later, she has a LOT of personality.

My wife and I have talked about this a lot, if a family had went to the foster home to pick a cat, our Venus would have likely hid - or run from anyone, and prevented her being picked...

We picked, because of our intense pain, from a photo made of a year and half old Tortie - with her tongue sticking out...

kibmufxy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First may i say i am sorry for your loss. It is so very hard when we lose our  beloved cat. You will know when you are  ready because one day a cat or kitten will  grab your heart and you wont be able to walk away without him/her. I lost my beautiful Main Coon in April when she had her second stroke. I adopted her at age 6-7 and she was 17-18 yrs old when she died. I still miss her and i will always and cannot talk about her in debt without  tears coming. She  was a very special girl and much more than my cat to me.  Everyone said get another but i said no , i will get another only when that special one ( as my Sophie was ) grabs my heart and i can't go without her. Well it happened. I saw my Siamese kitten and i feel in love and i could  not leave without her. It took 7 months  to happen. You will know when it is the right cat/kitten. 

kibmufxy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for everyone's loss of their  wonderful cats. It is such a deep pain to lose our babies. People  who are not true animal lovers do not get it but we do !  I think always of all the love, affection and great joy my Sophie gave me. My husband used to say, Sophie sure knows you are her Mommy. 
  Well Mommy misses you and i always will.