Not using litter box

bannon9608

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I'm new here, and joined because I desperately need some help with my cat. I have a 7-year-old snowshoe Siamese named meezer. He's a male, neutered, declawed in front, and significantly overweight.

Over the past 2 years, he's quit using his litter box. It's been gradual. He poops right next to it. He'll still urinate in it occasionally, but mostly pees on shoes, piles of clothing, rugs, bath mats, towels, etc.

I've tried different litters, however I'm limited in what I can afford.

I'm worried perhaps this is a health issue - perhaps an issue with his feet due to being declawed? But I can't afford to talk him to the vet. I'm bordering on destitute, and am on the verge of losing my house to foreclosure. I'm in the middle of a divorce die to domestic violence, and my ex ruined my credit. I can't get approved for credit cards. My family is paying for my divorce & lent me $5000 for dental work for my child. There is literally no money to take the cat to the vet.

I've attempted to regime him privately, because I know it's not fair if I can't attend to his medical needs. However, no one would take him. And I can't bear to dump him at a shelter.

So I'm hoping maybe this is a behavior issue. I need to get it under control because his urine is ruining everything and making the whole house smell. I tried feliway but can't afford it anymore.

Any suggestions?

joseph watson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Always try to keep your pet as clean as possible. A good hygienic pet has more longer life span. And an effective weight management is also essential in keeping your pet safe. Pet oder is always  very disgusting    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bannon9608

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand what keeping my cat clean has to do with him not using the litterbox? Or where I stated that my cat is dirty?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :wavey:

Sorry you are having this problem with your kitty.

You say you have tried different litters. Have you tried some shredded paper ? Im thinking he might prefer something a little softer under his paws. Or another idea is to try a puppy training pad in his litter tray. :D

bullseye759

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

We are having a similar problem. We have 3 cats and 3 separate boxes. Early on it appeared they each preferred a particular box but I have seen them switching around. But as I say "for the most part" they do use the boxes. But not all the time. We've discovered each of them at random times going in random places-urinating that is. Its annoying and of course it stinks!! We clean the boxes daily-sometimes more than once and keep the litter fresh. Its frustrating because they do use the boxes but just not all of the time. And we've caught all of them doing it-not just one of them. Is there a remedy? We've had cats for years. Never had this issue. They are 4, 8 and 9 years old. Also-and I know this is subjective but what is the best cat urine odor spray?

Thank you

bullseye759 (Dean)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bannon9608

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never tried shredded paper. What's the mess factor there?

I suppose I could try puppy pads, but again the cost may be a killer. I really can't afford to have a cat, especially one needing special things.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have never tried shredded paper. What's the mess factor there?

I suppose I could try puppy pads, but again the cost may be a killer. I really can't afford to have a cat, especially one needing special things.
Erm.... I don't know about the mess factor. I never used it myself - I've just heard of other people having success with this.

No harm in trying it though and seeing if it works for both you and Meezer. Plus it's cheap - you can use any kind of paper to shred like newspapers and old mail etc.

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive tried shredded paper once, actually because the cat ripped open the bag of litter and it went all over the floor and while playing... so did the cat bickies. :/ it was all mixed so I had to bin it. I actually got a newspaper (back when I had them in the house) and ripped it into strips and plonked it in. They were ok with it! Ive also used dirt from the back yard and sand. They were messy..paper was manageable!
Sorry about your hard times, I can somewhat relate. There also may be a vet in your area that will do a check up at low cost, maybe even a payment plan.. no harm in asking...ive had to and to my shock they did only charge me the bare min. Ive refered a heap of people to them and they have also helped one of my single mum friends with her kitty trouble with 2 for the price of 1 health checks etc. They can do it..you just have to find the ones willing.
There are also pages on fb for cat behaviour where you can email the vet..

sphelan107

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's because of the type of liter you have in the box that he is doing this and it can be fixed fairly easily. . Declawed cats have several sensitive nerves that are now exposed into he paws and are extremely sensitive to certain litter brands. Need to Google which brand is best for cats with sensitive declawed paws it should do the trick