Not Using Her Litterbox

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I adopted my kitty in August, and from the moment she stepped in the apartment, we had absolutely no issue with the litterbox. She always went inside the box, and the only time she didn't was when I went a day too long without cleaning it once.

Neither my room mate nor I were able to stay in our college-town apartment with Gracie. However, I came down every two or three days to see her, play with her, and leave new food for her. We left the beginning of December, and since we left Gracie has stopped using the litterbox. At first I thought it was the change in litter, which we did gradually, but when I bought her her old litter she still didn't go in the box. I know she's pooping but I can't find pee and she's definitely not going in the litter box.

What should I do?

Thanks!

E and Gracie

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site.
Whenever there is a change in litter box routine, I get worried. And would consider taking her to the vets.
Have you always not been able to stay with Gracie (and how long will this continue?). I ask because if it is new behavior on your part, then maybe Gracie isn't liking it. And since she can't talk Human (darn it!), she 'talks' by not peeing in the litter box.
I'm surprised you can't smell the urine if she is peeing somewhere in your apartment. You might get a black light and shine it in various places. Is there anyway she could be getting outside and peeing there?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, that a vet visit would be first in order to rule out any health problems.

It occurs to me that if she's healthy, it could be one of two things.  She might be acting out because she's missing you, and because the box isn't being kept clean on a daily basis.  Some cats can stand a day of not scooping but most appreciate daily scooping.  If you aren't coming down to the apartment more than a couple of times a week, (if I read this correctly) this is too long for her to go without the box being cleaned.  Perhaps if you were able to have two boxes for her, this might help so she at least has 2 places to choose from.

Would you please let us know if this is the case, or did I misunderstand?  Are you currently in the apartment, or not?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been living in the apartment the past couple of days and I'm still seeing poops on the carpet (but only one pee spot so far?). I'll be living back full time Friday night, so I really hope it's just that Gracie is acting out because my room mate and I have been gone. 

I scoop the box twice in a week, then clean it entirely every Monday. The first two weeks of break she was still using the letterbox, but then all of a sudden she stopped. She's eating fairly normal and she's acting like herself, except for the not using the litterbox. 

I was going to take her to the vet on Saturday to get her nails trimmed, I'll see if they can fit us in for an appointment with the vet. 

Is there any way to stop her behavior, or is this going to keep happening?

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would recommend to clean the box on a daily basis and to spend more time with her. I believe she feels very lonely and is expressing this by not using her litter box.

Have you considered to get her a feline companion? This may help her to feel better if you cannot live  with her permanently in the apartment.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been living in the apartment the past couple of days and I'm still seeing poops on the carpet (but only one pee spot so far?). I'll be living back full time Friday night, so I really hope it's just that Gracie is acting out because my room mate and I have been gone. 

I scoop the box twice in a week, then clean it entirely every Monday. The first two weeks of break she was still using the letterbox, but then all of a sudden she stopped. She's eating fairly normal and she's acting like herself, except for the not using the litterbox. 

I was going to take her to the vet on Saturday to get her nails trimmed, I'll see if they can fit us in for an appointment with the vet. 

Is there any way to stop her behavior, or is this going to keep happening?
Twice a week is far too little to clean a litter box.  After a day or so it fills up with urine balls and feces making it difficult for the cat to side step the mess.  Cats are fastidiously clean.  If the box is dirtier than they can tolerate they are going to try and find another place to go. If you think about it from a human perspective, we don't want to go in toilets which are dirty and filled,let alone for several days.  

I'd suggest that once you move back in Friday, that you clean everything completely and provide new litter.  If possible, add another box. Also, be sure you clean anywhere she has already marked with an enzyme cleaner (you can get these at any pet store).  Hopefully between this and spending quality time with her again, the behavior will subside.  If not, we have plenty of people here who can help trouble shoot the issue and provide various methods to help you and her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Twice a week is far too little to clean a litter box.  After a day or so it fills up with urine balls and feces making it difficult for the cat to side step the mess.  Cats are fastidiously clean.  If the box is dirtier than they can tolerate they are going to try and find another place to go. If you think about it from a human perspective, we don't want to go in toilets which are dirty and filled,let alone for several days.  

I'd suggest that once you move back in Friday, that you clean everything completely and provide new litter.  If possible, add another box. Also, be sure you clean anywhere she has already marked with an enzyme cleaner (you can get these at any pet store).  Hopefully between this and spending quality time with her again, the behavior will subside.  If not, we have plenty of people here who can help trouble shoot the issue and provide various methods to help you and her.
Good to know! I will definitely be better at cleaning Gracie's litter box, and will aim to scoop every day! 

Saturday (because I have to work all day Friday), Gracie will get a second litter box, and boyfriend and I are going to deep clean the apartment so that both Gracie and my room mate will be happy. Saturday Gracie will also go to the vet for a check up and to get her nails trimmed.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be posting to say that this (hopefully!) helps

-E and Gracie