Not using her litterbox

kellyann1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat lovers

My female cat is peeing outside of her litterbox. Sabrina does it on my mothers' bed, clothing, shoes and cat beds etc.
We had it under control for awhile. Now the problem is back again. I should mention I am fostering a female cat for
socializing beside that we have two male cats. They all get along good together. I am thinking about adopted my
foster. She is nervous and doesn't like to be handle. I feel bad if I brought her back not keeping her. I might stress
her out even more. We have cat litterboxes and we use fresh pine. Maybe she feels threatened by the new foster
cat. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated? Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, get her in for a vet visit to rule out a UTI.

Make sure there's enough litter boxes and different types of litter boxes - open top and covered.
Try using different litters, some cats are picky. Try the Cat Attract litter or litter additive.

Since this is likely a stressful situation for her (all the other cats), get some feliway diffusers and have them going. Make sure you have enough to cover all the rooms she's allowed into.

And the fun part: Make sure you're using a enzyme cleaner made to remove pet urine on everything that is urinated on. If you don't use these and use them properly a cat will just keep going back to the areas they already peed.

Depending on how much of this you've already tried and are doing, more suggestions could be offered once people know where you stand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kellyann1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! She has a good appetite. Eats wet and dry and doesn't seem to be in pain. I thought I mention that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very adept at hiding their symptoms. I didn't know one of my male cats had crystals till be partially blocked and couldn't pee. And yes.. he was still happily eating even though he was in some pain and couldn't pee.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A vet visit never hurts, but this is almost certainly because of the fostering, if the peeing started shortly after you took this other cat in. Some cats hate any intruders with a passion and most will react unfavourably in some way, at least initially. She feels threatened by the presence of new cats in your home and is asserting her "ownership" of the house.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kellyann1980

Thanks for the advice! She has a good appetite. Eats wet and dry and doesn't seem to be in pain. I thought I mention that.
Avoiding the litter box can be a sign of pain. Cats are masters at hiding pain and illness. But if it hurts to pee, she will blame the box, and try to pee elsewhere.

It may be the foster, but stress can cause illnesses such at UTIs and crystals in the urine. A vet check is the first step.

Add some litter boxes (I think that's already been mentioned) and get some feliway plug in diffusers to help with territorial feelings. Try something other than the pine litter. Many cats don't like it.

Welcome (back) to TCS, and hurray for you for fostering! Or should I say congratulations on your new family member!

But do get Sabrina checked out at the vet.

let us know how things are going.