Not too early start holiday decorating

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I probably shouldn't admit it; but here I go anyway. LOL  I forgot the strand of lights I put up around half my living room last year.  It's hard to reach over the TV to get them up and down and I just never got around to it till it was like "why bother taking them down?"  So now I've got a jump on this year's decorating!  
  I will start my decorating Thanksgiving day I hope!!  My Dad is coming a few days later with his girlfriend for a night or two so I'm hoping we can make it like Christmas with Grandpa for the kids.  I'm hoping to do some kind of nice dinner.  Nothing too involved; but still good and special.  I haven't had a Christmas with my Dad in years!! 

I really would like to do more decorating outdoors; but DH isn't really excited about that.  I'd settle for lighted wreaths on the front windows; but I don't know how to hang them.  I also have a large open space over the garage door (faces the road) that is just begging for something; but again, how do you hang something?  It would have to be one big wreath to do it justice.  Normally I just have a LED tree on the front porch.  It's something!  More than we had before this house.  The year I did up our deck railing at our old place some kids came through and pulled a bunch of random bulbs from the lights on me.  Caught em; but still. 

I will surely share pictures of the inside when I'm done!

I usually decorate the first weekend in December. I'm not sure about this year though with a 14 month old who is very curious. 
@catlover19   Get a Super Yard if you don't have one already!  We put one around our tree for DD and it helped a lot!  She was 11 1/2 months for her first Christmas.  DS is 18 months now and I use the Super Yard to contain him so the plan is to keep the tree in a different spot this year where he never has unsupervised access....  
  The only year I have done Black Friday shopping was the year I needed that Super Yard and I found it for a good price at ToysRus.  I'd done a ton of Craigslist surfing to no luck.  It's been well worth the investment!  Do you have Black Friday shopping up there?  Or something similar when stores offer good sales?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I really would like to do more decorating outdoors; but DH isn't really excited about that.  I'd settle for lighted wreaths on the front windows; but I don't know how to hang them. 
 Suction cups, thats how I hang mine :D

My Dec's will go up from the 1st December never earlier because I do get sick of the sight of them by the end of December lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing Rick really does outside is putting up lights. He'll put lights around some of the trees in the front yard.....that's pretty much it these days. I love Christmas lights; I think they're one of my favorite decorations. Lots of lights. We have two weeping cherry trees in the front yard; he drapes the branches with red icicle lights and then puts green lights at the trunks....they look really neat, almost like colored palm trees. We've had a lot of people actually stop and ask us how we did it. 

When I got my very first job (kitchen slave at our local hospital late afternoons after school), I bought my parents a large outside plastic snowman and a Santa. You can plug them in. They gave them back to me when they down-sized and we put them outsode sometimes. They need a good paint job and I keep saying I want to paint them and never seem to get it done. But he puts them out in the front yard, tied to a stake (we have horrible winds down here in the winter). We have two nice lighted trees in planters (a Lowes special from a few years ago) that we put on the front stoop, but again, we have to tie them down or load the planters with heavy rocks or they'll blow over. 

Rick used to frame the house in lights and go around the front windows, but as he gets older, it gets more difficult for him. 

I'd really like to do more in the kitchen, but with the cats, it's pretty much asking for trouble. We have that area at the ceiling above the cabinets at the end of the kitchen and it would look wonderful with some kind of winter decoration up there. But Mollipop jumps up there quite a bit and I don't need her getting tangled in lights or eating something funky. You know. It's a cat thing, I guess. So other than our brass sleigh and reindeer and our ceramic Santa (the one with the broken arm), we keep it bare.