not sure

marcianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male kitten is acting weird. He is yowling day and night. He has been more affectionate during the last 3 days. He has been trying to "mount" my other cats. I know he needs to be neutered and plan to do so but I have to wait about another 2 weeks according to the traveling clinic that did his first set of shots. I know male cats do not go into "heat" but do they get hormonal? This behavior is keeping me up all night and he's actually getting a bit aggressive. Does anyone know if I really have to wait to get boosters before he can be neutered? Any info or advice is much appreciated.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats can tell when there are females in heat around, even if they're outside and far away. If he can smell them, he will call to them and want to get out to them. "Kitten season" is rapidly approaching too, so it's not uncommon for females to be roaming around in heat. How old is he? Many cats get speutered when they reach 2 months or 2lbs, well before puberty and not long after their kitten shots.

I'm personally not sure of the waiting for boosters before neutering - perhaps someone else will, but if in doubt, you can call another local vet, ask them if it's necessary to wait, and if not just give them the info of the traveling clinic so they can transfer his file and the vaccinations he received with them to the new vet.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd better keep you're eye on the 4 month little girl. It's probably she could get pregnant, if she isn't already.
Can you not confine him in another roomuuntil he's been neutered and after till he's a sperm free?

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You didn't say how old the male kitten is. It appears that he is older than the 4 month female?  Kittens can be spayed or neutered at 2 to 3 months old. I don't know what the baloney is about booster shots!  Although I have read that cats should not be vaccinated at the same time as surgery, I also know that is also quite common. Just tell the vet that you will bring the kitties back for booster shots after surgery. AND personally, I would just take the 2 of them in together to be fixed. I loaded 3 of mine up to go to the vet. And it was all done and over. You do not want yowling cats! Did I mention the male spraying? They are your cats, and unless they are VERY SMALL and don't meet the weight requirements, I see no reason to hesitate!