Not Sure What To Do...any Ideas? About This Situation

LIncognieto94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a seven year old cat named Mittens. He has been the only kitty in the house until now. I recently adopted a 2 month old kitten named Lola. When I first brought Lola home I put her in a safe space where Mittens couldn’t get to her. They have had supervised visits without hissing but Mittens did bite Lola. No one was hurt and there was no blood. Now we are on week two and since that last visit between the two we have only done visits between doors, gates, crate, and play pin.

Recently when we do these visits they will paw at each other (no claws), and Mittens meows a bunch. It sounds playful but I am not too sure. I have heard aggressive cat noises and I know they aren’t bad. It’s just Lola is a ball of energy and I don’t want her upsetting him or anything (I am a really worried fur mom, if you couldn’t tell). If anyone has any tips or thoughts please share. Maybe I am just overly concerned

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It could be that they are play fighting- do their interactions look like this video?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently had a post where an active kitten scratched the cornea of an adult cat (twice!), but I have never - not once - seen a post where an adult cat hurt a true kitten. I'm sure its theoretically possible - wild animals sometimes kill their young after all - but with our domesticated felines, not hurting kittens seems hardwired. It seems that adult cats do sometimes play rough enough to make the kitten squeal a bit in the moment, but they do not "cross the line". Sometimes a scaredy kitten may have fears, and a crazy enthusiastic big cat may feed into those fears, but if the kitten comes right back for more, doesn't avoid the big cat or act terrified around it, there is your signal that all is well.

Its purrfectly normal to worry a bit. Many first time cat parents worry about these normal big cat - kitten play sessions. We see posts like yours all the time. But its unnecessary I promise!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitten! Can we see pictures? :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

It sounds like you're doing all the right things with the introductions. At the end of the following article, it mentions the body language to watch for to determine if "fights" are real or "mock battles".
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

These days the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks, so they have time to learn kitten etiquette. Since Lola is only 2 months old, she's still a young, so Mittens (and you) may have to teach her cat manners.

Here's a link with more info: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LIncognieto94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of the insight on this situation. I think I am just wY toooooooo paranoid after reading and watching these videos. Thank you for all of your help!