Not Sure What To Do About My Sick Old Cat

boneboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat rook (hes around 15 years old, and a tabby i believe) stopped eating after we moved, so we took him to the vet and got some bloodwork and they said he had an infection but we couldnt tell what kind of infection it was and they gave him some antibiotic. It didn't work, he still isn't eating, we try to feed him wet food but hes starving himself, he's barely got any muscle left and he cant even jump on my bed by himself anymore. Since he hasn't been eating solid food (or barely any food) his poop is liquidy, and it seems to be bothering him, i tried to clean him with wet wipes but he seemed too bothered so i stopped... im just lost because ive never had to deal with anything like this

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry you are going through this. It is sad when an animal who does everything to hide their pain or discomfort is showing so many symptoms of illness and final straw is when they stop eating.

There are a couple routes to take. I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend because there are other tests and xrays that can be done. You could ask your vet for an appetite stimulant (mirtazapine) and try to get him eating cat food with water added, maybe warmed up with some tuna juice on top for extra stinkiness. Often when they give up eating, they have, in fact, given up. Especially at that age. So you will have to act fast. Since you had the bloodwork done already phone your vet and ask what else to do and about the appetite stimulant.

I am sorry you are going through this. I hope you can find some answers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boneboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea the vet told me about the other tests, but I really cant afford them right now.. should I consider getting him put down? Its a hard question to ask but I hate to see him in so much discomfort and pain.. he can barely walk anymore

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly since you said he isn't eating AND he can't walk, it is not at all wrong to put him down. This is a humane solution. Personally I couldn't afford much either and I would likely do the same. If he was walking and didn't lose so much muscle mass I would want to try a lot more, starting with the appetite stimulant. But if he seems to be suffering at all then he likely is. It is a hard decision I know. Others here may think differently but as long as your choices are humane that is what matters. Ending his possible suffering is an ok thing to do.

I am trying not to sound like I am swaying you one way or another. But look at the big picture and look at your cat and you will know what the right answer is.
:redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump::hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

boneboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice, I'll decide what to do from here