Not sure if this message belongs here or in

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
health and nutrition, but anyway,

My cat Lily has had trouble with regurgitation (frequently) since I got her over a year ago. My vets basically didn't offer much in the way of an explanation or solutions. They said "Oh, it is probably hairballs". With no hair in most, I figured it was some other reason. Then, I read that cats can have something called megaensophlegeal (sp?) something, which means they have a "bad" ensophogus that causes them to regurgitate. Another reason explained that cats who bolt their food down fast, can regurgitate too.

I think I finally had a breakthrough!! One of my dog sitting clients has 3 male Golden Retrievers that live on starvation rations
. The owners are very lean and like to keep their Goldens looking more like Greyhounds. Anyway, their dogs would wolf their food really fast and regurgitate it up too. One day I mentioned that this was happening when I dog sat. The owner said to spread their food out on a cookie sheet and this would slow them down and prevent regurgitation.

To make a long story a little shorter, I did the same thing with Lily's food. I have been spreading it out on a plastic tray. She hasn't regurgitated once since I have been doing this!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think it borders on abuse too. Two of the three are of good weight and don't seem to be "starving" the third is always whining and crying. The two brothers will compete at feeding time and both bolt their food down so fast!!! Their oldest Golden eats the same as the others but is actually nice and filled out. They are large Goldens and get 1-1/2 cups twice a day per dog. They eat California Natural.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did move you. You can also elevate the food bowl. It causes the cat to relax his throat and slow down while eating. Cats are gulpers and swallow their food pretty much whole. That's why dogs love litter pan offerings, it is pure protein for them.