Not sure if this is where i post. I found a stray cat

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a stray cat and she just had kittens and there is a strange sack looking thing on them and she dont seem to want to take it off. What do i do? Sorry for the stupid question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She cleaned the just didnt take the sack off. How long should i wait to see if she does it herself

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry so many questions. Is there any special way i have to do it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Yes, just open the sack with your fingers. It will tear easily, or they may not survive. They need to breathe once delivered!

What’s the update?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rub them vigorously with a towel to stimulate breathing once out of the sack. Do they appear full term? Are they alive?

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its open. There is just a. Strange looking thing still attached and im not sure what it is. Im being told 2 different things. I sent a pic to a friend for help and nothing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be the placenta. If mom doesn’t bite it off, pinch it off yourself with your fingers. Are they alive?

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rub them vigorously with a towel to stimulate breathing once out of the sack. Do they appear full term? Are they alive?
They are alive and moving. I was going to post a pic but not sure if it is allowed

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be the placenta. If mom doesn’t bite it off, pinch it off yourself with your fingers. Are they alive?
Yes they are just not sure what it is and afraid of hurting them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pinch an inch from their naval and discard the placenta. Are the kittens breathing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many kittens? Are they alive and nursing mom? Not sure what you mean in your picture.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that’s the placenta still attached. Pinch it off with your fingers about an inch or two from each kitten’s naval. Dispose of the placentas. The stub will dry up and fall off the kittens in five days. It’s how they received nutrients to grow while inside mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing mom and providing a home for her and her kittens. She must be young and inexperienced. This may be her first (and hopefully only) litter. Most cats know to chew off the cord, and most eat the placentas. Sounds like it’s turned out well though.

Feed mom as much wet and dry food as she wants during nursing for the next few weeks, and plan to get her spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Keep us posted!

AdahA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am on a wait list for her and 2 kittens that she brought to me when she showed up. They will all be fixed. Thank you all for your help