Not sure if stray or feral, but still want to slowly give it love!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Best of luck getting her to the vet!  I will be thinking about you and hoping for the best!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in a kitten last year.I locked her in the bathroom with an enclosed bed she can crawl into.That way I have taught her to not grab at me playfully.She was tested for all diseases including the scratch disease you can get from her.My other cats were also dewormed because she did have tape worms.Maggie is 9 months now and no longer feral.She had 3 sibs and a mom.2 of them died from being run over and caught in a cars engine.Another someone took in.The mom was very anorexic and left Maggie at 3 months old.It is fun watching a kitten grow up.Enjoy!

Laura

catsfurme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am around feral cats alot.  Right now I have 2  (possibly 3) females that have given birth to 12 kitties.  Both mom cats are feral.  I began working with them last year and was able to bring one inside to have her babies.  It took a little time but I talked to her very softly fed her pieces of chicken, gave her some of my "Kitty Soup" as the neighborhood kids call it and sang to her.  She has recognized that she is safe with me and greets me when I enter the room.  (My neighbor is keeping her and babies temporarily.)  I sing to my cats and make sure I use their name, just silly, smooth, gentle sound that I make up as I go.  Music indeed sooths the savage beast.

I always cover the carrier with a towel I have cut a hole in for the handle.  It's very frightening for them to see everything that is going on.  The cover soothes their already jangled nerves.  When I put the trap out, I cover it with branches , leaves or a cover.   As soon as the trap springs I begin immediately talking to them in a soft reassuring voice.  When I need to handle them it is by the scruff of the neck; it is somewhat immobilizing and keeps them "deactivated" long enough to put in a carrier.  I prop the carrier up so the gate is on top, grab the two back legswith my free hand and gently drop them in the carrier.  I then close the door as quickly as possible.

In my state, Oregon, USA, if someone receives food stamps or is on disability the humane society does spay/neuter for free, picks the cat up and brings them back. There are also coupons that bring the cost down to $10.00.

It's hard for me to adopt out the kitties and mommas because I become attached to them.  I make sure the cats/kitties are spayed/neutered, have their shots and flea drops applied before they are adopted out.  I encourage everyone to call me for anything and an open door if they want to bring them back.  Enough about my experiences.

The most important thing I wanted to impart is about the towel or cover over the carrier; it really does work.  I have not tried any of the calming sprays but I'm willing to try them.  Anyone out there with experience using these?  I'd like to hear.

It's a wonderful thing you have done.  Best of luck with your new addition.