Not sure if needs vet or patience for probably stuck fur ball?

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat coco was fine yesterday and apparently spent the night playing up and down the stairs as I found toys upstairs that were downstairs earlier, so she was definitely okay yesterday!

Anyway, this morning she threw up a large amount of food and since then has been not well.
She does not seem comfortable and doesn't nap. She just sits, mostly in a hidden area by herself although she's nearby now. She hasn't eaten but that is normal, she never eats during the day time and it's only been 5 hours since she was first sick (the vomit). She did use the litter tray after she vomited so that's good. She can breathe fine. But she was salivating a great deal and saliva was dripping from her mouth.

I don't call the vet because I live abroad and don't yet speak the language and my partner (who does) is at work. I *think* it's mostly likely that she has a fur ball that is causing her discomfort and hasn't come out yet. But she just seems so unhappy and uncomfortable and I don't know if I am being bad by not immediately taking her to a vet. My initial thought is to wait until tomorrow morning and then call the vet if this goes on.
I do not know what a vet could do anyway, until more time has passed.

Is there anything I can do for her?

Is it ok to wait and see until tomorrow if she manages to get the fur ball out?

Extra information : she is 10 years old and has a heart murmur.
Thanks for any advice and guidance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is salivating, something is definitely wrong. Could she have possibly eaten a plant or bit into something that would be poisonous? It could also mean tooth or mouth problems, Salivating usually means nausea. See if she will eat about a half teaspoon of butter to help a hairball. Don't force her. If she is not better by tomorrow, definitely take her in. If she was so well the day before and you had never noticed drooling before, it sounds like some kind of poison or really irritating substance. Maybe even drinking toilet cleaner out of the toilet bowl, a pill laying around, a poisonous plant, mouse killer, etc. Check carefully......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. Coco is an indoor cat, and the bathrooms are closed etc. There are no accessible cleaning supplies or pills or plants etc. I was worried about poison etc too after googling but I cannot for the life of me imagine any circumstance in which she could have had something bad but I am thinking hard. I will definitely take her tomorrow if this doesn't get better. She ignores all I put in front of her (I tried some anti hairball paste she usually likes and a treat) and is just laying in her bed with her eyes open... ugh poor kitty

I was hoping she would just throw up a fur ball and then feel better. Maybe she still will!

She's not salivating at the moment, its not constant just happened a lot after i tried to wipe her mouth clean.

Anyway thank you once again for your reply, I guess i'll just pray and hope she manages to resolve it, otherwise i'll be phoning the vet first thing tomorrow.

Thank you

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh she managed to have some water and a tiny bit of anti hairball gel so fingers crossed!
Will update.

the spare human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would most definitely get them looked at sooner rather then later. It could be a kidney issue, a gum/mouth infection, or all sorts of issues. In my experience tho once some drooling starts you need to act fast. I hope she bouces back.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get Delectable Lickables lickable treat when my cats won't eat. They love the stew flavors. They are found in the cat food treat section. just av few licks may settle her stomach. if teh drooling happened after you cleaned her mouth, that may be the culprit. But if she isn't moving around. something is definitely wrong.
Hey, if she drank a little and even took a lick or two of hairball gel, things may be starting to look up. Encourage water!

kayacococats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I am sorry I forgot to update sooner!
Just to say whatever it was that happened solved by itself by the same evening, she suddenly perked up and seemed happy again and was rolling around purring etc. I think the anti hairball paste helped her, or maybe it was some kind of poisoning (I truly can't think how though). She never did a furball and she's been fine since.
cocobutton.jpg

Here is a little picture of Coco. She put herself in there lol!
I am extremely grateful to everyone here for just being kind and with the advice. Thank you!