Not Sure If Mom Cat Has Mastitis

Laura Jackson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

First time posting here so hope I'm doing this right!

I have a stray cat where I work who had two kittens. The kittens are about nine or ten weeks old now and have been adopted. The mom was spayed and given her shots last week, and she was released back outside. She was separated from her last kitten this Wednesday after he went to his forever home. two of her teats have gotten a little swollen since then, and I am not sure if this is because she no longer has kittens nursing. The kittens had been eating kitten food (wet and dry) exclusively before they left but I'm wondering now if they were nursing when I couldn't see them. I've never taken care of a queen before, so I don't know how she's supposed to look when she's going through the weaning process. I wouldn't want to leave her for the weekend if it's mastitis but I'm also a little strapped for cash so I can't afford a big vet bill hence why I'm here first :/I've attached a picture, any advice would be appreciated.

They aren't hot to the touch from what I can tell and I haven't seen any discharge. She doesn't seem lethargic, and she's eaten some wet and dry food today.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring her home with you for the weekend? She might need some warm compresses put on her periodically, and may end up needing antibiotics.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On some coldpressed cocoa or olive oil

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
L Laura Jackson

Oh, poor mom! She is engorged with milk. Her kittens were clearly still nursing quite a bit.

It takes about 2 weeks for milk to dry up.

It does not look infected, but warm, wet compresses would give her relief. You might even see milk dripping out after applying the compresses, which would also give her relief.

If she gets red, or warm to the touch, or lethargic, she might need treatment.

You should definitely keep an eye on her this weekend.

Thanks for re-homing the kittens and spaying mom! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura Jackson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut

Hi everyone thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! I ended up taking her to the vet (bills be damned!) and they gave her a shot of antibiotics and she'll be coming home w me for a bit so that I can give her some warm compresses. She's just a sweetheart so I'm hoping I'll be able to find her a permanent home soon.

Thanks again :)
Laura

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you! I'm sure she will feel better soon, and will enjoy living in your home while she recovers. She looks like a very sweet cat. I hope she gets a wonderful forever home soon. :catrub:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can do both the compresses and the oils. Im glad she will get a home. I jumped scary when you wrote she was turned back outside after the spaying. As she is appparently both handleable and friendly...