Not Sure If Kitty Is Pregnant, Help!

Curvykittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, Argo (my kitty) around the end of November started to look a little round, I thought maybe it’s because of the thanksgiving feast I gave her (turkey gravy wet food of course) but a couple weeks when by and her tummy didn’t get any smaller. I don’t know if maybe I just made her fat or what. Now, we’re in January and her tummy is getting bigger, she’s got lumps in her tummy and she’s 10 times more lovey with everyone. The only thing is, her nipples haven’t changed much, they’re slightly bigger. I really don’t know what to look for, someone help!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she very well could be. How old is she? Was she accidently let outside or around a male that is still intact?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isn't spayed and is over 4 months old and has been outside or near a tomcat recently. . .yup. Cats are very fertile and this is the time of year they normally get pregnant.

21Westcoastcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she isn't spayed and is over 4 months old and has been outside or near a tomcat recently. . .yup. Cats are very fertile and this is the time of year they normally get pregnant.
I don’t know much about timing, but I had thought winter was not the season they normally get pregnant?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor cats can have their cycles messed up from artificial lights and heat. So for pet cats there's really no off season, anything is possible.

Strays and ferals usually get pregnant around the end of December or early January so that the litter is born in March.

21Westcoastcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indoor cats can have their cycles messed up from artificial lights and heat. So for pet cats there's really no off season, anything is possible.

Strays and ferals usually get pregnant around the end of December or early January so that the litter is born in March.
Oh wow! I had no idea, good to know!
Better to be safe and take her to a vet to confirm what’s going on.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Also cats do not have to go into heat to get pregnant. Which is another reason overpopulation is so bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curvykittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s playing with the possible dad in the picture but her belly!

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks really young. How old is she?

If she lives with intact males, she’s almost definitely pregnant.

Do you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please seperate her from possible dad as he will just continuously impregnate her. If you want help finding a low cost neuter clinic in your area please let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Curvykittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks really young. How old is she?

If she lives with intact males, she’s almost definitely pregnant.

Do you need help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

I know of a place in my area! Thank you guys for your help. I’m going to be getting the male fixed here in a couple of weeks. I was just so lost because a friend of mine told me she wasn’t only because of her nipples. And I didn’t want to not think she’s pregnant and anything go wrong or anyone pick her up in the wrong way. I want to treat her like the queen that she is!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Still keep the male away from her! They are still fertile a month after their neuter!

21Westcoastcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also cats do not have to go into heat to get pregnant. Which is another reason overpopulation is so bad.
That is not accurate, cats cannot get pregnant without being in heat. Silent heats can occur, but that’s not the same thing

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
That is not accurate, cats cannot get pregnant without being in heat. Silent heats can occur, but that’s not the same thing
I have to somewhat agree... there are cases when a male might somehow mount her and mate the female against her will, but any tom with a brain ought to know to stay away from an unreceptive queen. :winkcat:

21Westcoastcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes but cats are induced ovulators. Meaning she has to have follicles/eggs to ovulate, and without being in heat she will not have eggs ready therfore she would not produce a litter. Perhaps theres always an excepetion to the rule, but generally speaking if she doesn’t have eggs she’s not going to end up pregnant.