Not Sure If I Gave My Cat His Medicine. What Do I Do?

iheartlife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Clindacure - the main ingredient is clindamycin hcl. It came in a white bottle with blue writing labeled VEDCO with a dropper lid to despinse the liquid medication. He's being treated for a minor gum/teeth issue. The vet said to give 1ml every 24 hours. I know I gave him yesterday's scheduled dose. But overnight I had what I think was a dream where I gave it to him but it felt so real that I'm not sure if it was a dream or I if I really gave him the medicine a second time. The pamphlet in the box said the dose for cats is 1-3ml/5lbs. He's over five pounds (7.7 to be exact) so if I had gave him the extra dose accidentally between scheduled doses would it hurt to give him his next scheduled dose since the label on the bottle and pamphlet says 1-3ml/5lbs? It would mean he had two scheduled does on time exactly 24 hours apart plus a possible accidental extra dose somewhere in between. I tried calling the vet for advice but she's out for the day. What would you do?

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm slightly confused, you say you know you gave him his dose.... and then you dreamt you gave it to him. It sounds like you gave it to him, no? If it was me and i was unsure I would probably wait for his next scheduled dose, but its probably ok either way.

It can help to make a dosage chart with the days on the week on it. Every time you dose him, you check off the day.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him his next dose on the regular schedule today. If you accidentally gave him two doses yesterday (you probably just dreamt that) then you only gave him 2ml's total yesterday, correct? The vet said 1ml a day, and the package says up to 3ml's per day. Sounds safe if you accidentally gave him twice as much yesterday.

Just don't let it happen again, young lady! (That's supposed to sound like your mother. :biggrin:)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're like me and forget to use the written schedule, make the dose in the evening at suppertime, that way you will know if it's a dream.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with stephenq stephenq . Make a dosage chart with days of the week on it. I just print off a calendar from the computer, by week or by month; then anytime I medicate a cat, I note time on the day of the calendar. Get in the habit and you won't question yourself.