Not so much cat behavior as human behavior.

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My room mate is infamous among people at school for stealing cat's love. She can go into any house with any cat, and that cat will love her more than anyone else in the room. But for her friends, she leaves their house at the end of the night and their cat goes back to them. 

However, Margo and I live with her.

I don't want Margo to become more attached and connected to my room mate than she is to me. My room mate graduates and leaves in 3 months, but I plan on being Margo's guardian for the rest of her life.  Are there things I can do to ensure that Margo prefers me? I'm already the only one who feeds Margo. 

Is it wrong to be mad and jealous when I find Margo cuddling with my room mate? Margo is sleeping with her now... I just want my room mate to close her door tight every night so that Margo can stay with me. I can't tell exactly how much time Margo spends in my room at night, but because I tend to move a lot when I sleep, Margo leaves... 

I don't know what to do and I hate resenting my room mate, but Margo is MY cat. I adopted her, I pay for her, I feed her, clean up after her, and have accepted the lifetime guardianship role, whereas Tass (room mate) seems to only be concerned with getting Margo to prefer her. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand your feelings, and it seems fairly natural to want your chosen cat to choose you. Sadly cats have their own minds and are usually intent on not doing what we want. 
    It may be that your friend has a relaxed aura and some kind of scent that attracts cats, or knows not to try and get their attention so they will have more interest, however it is unlikely you will be able to discover her inner secret.  If it makes you feel any better Mouse likes the company of people with smelly feet. 

You could always resort to expensive 'dirty' tactics and plug Feliway in your room and spray your clothes and bed with Feliway, but I suspect any resulting return of Margo to your side would feel a little hollow (and if she didn't you would feel even more desperate). Best to try and relax, and get on with nurturing Margo so that she knows who she is safe with when the going gets tough.