Not sleeping through the night

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a firm believer in crying it out when they dont' wake to eat at night (once you know they don't need it). And I don't mean letting them cry for hours and hours. I had to do it with all 3 of my girls and it only took a couple days and they were back to sleeping great.

When he wakes up go in there settle him back down with a blanket, binky (pacifier. LOL) or whatever he likes and rub his back so he knows you are there (but don't talk to him or that may stimulate him just touch him), then leave let him fuss for say 3-5 min go back and do the same thing, then each time stretch it out for about 3-5 extra min (so 2nd time would be 6-10 min etc.). Normally it will only take a couple times of going in like this. you would be amazed at how quick it works. you are breaking the habit of getting up but they also still know you are there and will be if they need you. I have told many friends this and normally with in 2-4 days the babies are back to sleeping through the night or start sleeping through.

My middle daughter ended up getting soooooooo overtired from fighting sleep and not sleeping well that she wouldn't sleep at nap times, so then was too tired to sleep at night (this was around 4 mo old) so I had to do it with her for naps and once those got set she started sleeping GREAT at night also. So also make sure he has a good routine and is sleeping enough for naps and such and that will help his sleep at night.

GL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

Thanks for all the advice everyone. He is nursing so he does expect something when I come in the room. He is fake crying. He will stop for a little while and wait to see what we'll do. He's such a little stinker.
He looks like one too in that "Updated Pictures" thread you started a while back. He had a real crafty look on his face in that one.

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no! imo you really have to leave the room and go to a far away place in the house! they know if you are by the door...
god I am so happy my baby is now 7!

A method for getting a baby to take a bottle ( of expressed breast milk perhaps) is to make sure you use steam not chemical sterilzer. use a teet that is breat shaped. wear a scalf all day round neck. when your other half tries to feed the bottle have him use the scalf for the baby to smell mummy and hide the bottle in his hand ( the small expressed milk bottles are good for this) have the bottle with a little milk spilling out so he gets a taste right away and try your luck!
I am a nursery nurse and used to wean babies to bottle all the time! not easy!
i can still see little baby robbie in my arms now. ( he must be 11 years old now!)

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo weee...

I am so happy I never had this problem with my daughter. Sleeps through the night. Ever scince the day she was born. Only one night when she was sick she woke up once.

I have no advice cuz I'd be right here with ya if my child didnt sleep through the night. Man, I'd go nutty.

Some nights she even sleeps like 10-12 hours. But it's totally in her fathers genes. They SLEEP all the time. For real. His whole family is like always sleeping.

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats a good question to consider when dating..do your family sleep a lot?! lol!

jakkies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No help or tips but lots of sympathy...my little man recently started waking at 3 am as well - why the heck 3 am anyway!

I am finding that giving him his lovie (a Paddington Bear) and his pacifier and then turning on his Tiny Love Symphony in Motion (plays for 20 min) seems to help. Of course some nights he isn't fooled and just wants his bottle of milk. I hope you find the trick for your little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosehazel

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to my eyeballs in Thomas the Tank Engine undies
I have great news. Brandon is now sleeping till at least 5am and is then going right back to bed after his feeding! It gets even better. At about 4 months he quit taking a bottle. Yesterday, he took 3!!
I am so excited. My hubby got him to take all three of them, even the one at 4:30 this morning. Thanks everyone for all the great advice you gave me, it really did help a lot

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's The Baby Whisperer book I'm thinking of or what, but there's a great nationally acclaimed book that has a lot of great tips. The best trick is to (and this will take about a week) create a very stringent routine that is the EXACT same every night, at the exact same time, offering about 2-3 hours of your time before actually bed time. Say you want to put him to bed at 7pm, so you start your routine at 4pm. Maybe first have 20-30 mins tummy time with small toys, then follow with a warm bath, a baby massage, a feeding, reading a book, then bed. You can make your own very personalized extended routine, it can be something special. You may already do this, but they say this is absolutely the best way...your kiddo will physiologically get accustomed to your exact routine.
Also...try not to let him fall asleep before you put him in his crib (i.e. rocking to sleep). When baby falls asleep in mommy's arms and wakes up in the middle of the night alone in his crib, it is a very scary experience. Moms usually don't like that one, because it is so nice and so hard not to allow your baby to fall asleep in your arms, it's the most precious thing...but it's best for baby to wake up wherever he was put to sleep. It gives him a sense of trust and security, he always knows exactly what's going to happen when he goes nighty night, no surprises and waking up in strange places.
Best of luck, try not to pull your hair out hon!

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOPS...I just read you're last post,,,you're good to go then, lol, CONGRATULATIONS!!