Not Recovering After Spayed

Chichimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My cat got spayed on Wednesday morning and came home in the evening. She ate a little bit of her wet food then went to sleep all day.

I woke up to the sound of her vomiting on Thursday early morning. She didn’t really eat anything. Since all I knew was to put the med in her food, so she didn’t take her pain med.

Friday early morning I woke up to her throwing up again. So I went to vet to see if anything was wrong. Blood test was good, X-ray didn’t show anything wrong really. The doctor didn’t think there was a post surgery complication. They said to feed her baby food and gave me some new med that can help her with nausea. I managed to feed her about a spoon of baby food. Very little compare to what she used to eat.

Saturday morning she vomited again. All brown like she didn’t get to digest any of the food she ate. Then she vomited again couple hours later. White formy stuff.

Since Wednesday it has been almost 3days. I am so worried that my cat is getting really sick instead of recovering.

Here are some questions.

1. Do I need to seringe feeding the cat?
2. How often and how much?
3. Should I still give her medicine even if she has an empty stomach?
4. Should I at least force feed her some water?

I am thinking of going to an emergency care tomorrow if she keeps throwing up. I am just too worried not to do anything. I am wiring this post to see if I can learn anything that can help her.

Thank you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I'm so sorry your girl is sick. Everything you're describing is pretty alarming to me. This is WAY outside of a normal spay recovery. She needs to see a vet ASAP. Take her to an emergency vet TODAY. Vomiting like this after surgery is NOT normal.

Please get her to an emergency vet. You need to identify and treat the cause of her vomiting before you can move forward. I can't stress enough how urgent this is.

Do let us know what happens at the ER vet. You'll both be in my thoughts :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try some deli turkey, canned tuna, or something else she REALLY might like. She definitely needs to start eating/drinking. Throwing up, can indicate a normal reaction to anesthesia, but not for that long. If she is not eating by the third day, definitely take her in. So try one more time, and if she doesn't eat or drink take her in. I'll pray for her recovery, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry your little girl is going through this. Cats can get really sick when they dont eat. 1 day i wouldn't worry much, 2 or 3 days i would consider an emergency. If she is not eating better today i think emergency vet is the best idea. Good luck to her, and do let us know how she is doing. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chichimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everybody for the reply and support.

The emergency vet ran some more test and told me that she is going under a severe kidney failure. There is no place that can run a surgery to fix it in town so my partner and I are driving right now to go to a big university clinic 3 hours away.

I really hope they can fix her.. I will update how it goes there.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that she is having this problem, but im glad you took her in and found out what was going on! I will keep her, and you guys in my thoughts and prayers, for a full recovery! :grouphug:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The DVMs at the operating clinic failed you miserably. Were there any discussions about her ability to urinate. DVMs like to question cat owners about their cats litter box habits because it can indicate so much about their mental and physical health.