Not Recognising Cat After Getting Out

Doris&Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Bella got out yesterday for maybe an hour my husband said. But when Bella came back inside her sister Stella starts hissing and growling at her. So I gave Bella a bath so Stella would stop the hissing and growling, but it didn't work. What can I do to stop the hissing and growling?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi D Doris&Bella and welcome to TCS!

This is really common.. it happens in my household after every vet visit. :rolleyes2:

Some people swear by vanilla essence.. just putting a drop on each can so that they smell the same. Grooming with the same brush may also help.

Other than that, it's really just a case of wait for Stella to get over it. ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Yes, it is quite common, and as mani mani mentioned, often happens after one cat comes home from a vet visit with a different smell on them.

It called "non recognition aggression" and TCS has an article on the subject: How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats.

Good luck. Hope your cats are back to normal soon. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doris&Bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replys rubysmama rubysmama and mani mani . They had a Dr appointment today to get spayed and now Stella is wanting to attack Bella, then she doesn't. I hope that this passes soon.