Not having a good week at internship

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever have one of those weeks where you feel like either your being picked on, or your doing everything wrong? I'm having one of those weeks this week at my intership. Between calls & e-mails from parents, P.O.'s, the clinic manager & the billing lady (I like a differnt word for her better, but it's not right for this site) I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I am struggling hard enough to learn to be a couneslor, why do I have to deal with all this paperwork garbage. I'm tired, I've been sick & the last thing I need is anyone on my back. I just want to cry
but I can't because I Have to lead 2 AODA groups tonight. It's been a ruff week.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
These are times where we send you a
and a
. Keep your eye on the goal and then take each task as it comes.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just remember it's temporary. Sometimes the nurses and nurses assistants were mean to me (and the other students) when I was in nursing school. When I worked in a doctor's office I was shocked to see my own friends/co-workers treating a medical assistant intern horribly. I went out of my way to be nice to her. I have no idea why people want to act so superior to someone who is just trying to learn. Hang in there and don't let them get to you.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
honey, I know how you feel. Well, not exactly because I don't know the job, but I know what it feels like to be new to a job, and to be an intern. Interning can be worse because you are basically thrown into something and most of the time you feel you have to "prove" yourself.

It will get better, and like katachtig said you have to keep your eye on the goal. If this is a career you want, this is a stepping stone, and something to put on your resume.

And, for the record...I still have days where I think I'm not doing anything right, and I've worked there for 4 years. You always have days or weeks like that. Recovering from being sick definitely doesn't help. But, it doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hon I can relate! My co-worker was laid off about a month ago and ever since I feel like I'm a whipping post (not sure that is the correct term). I'm now the only employee, doing both of our jobs and it's the reason I'm awake and on here at 2 in the morning.

I'm with the, keep your eye on the prize, suggestions. Just think of the experience you are getting. This is just a season for you; it will pass. As for me, my season means me finding a new job I'm afraid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. Much to my supprise I had a good night last night. I got a chance to talk to one of the supervising counselors. I knew I could talk to her because she had mentioned some of the same issues with this woman before she was in a supervisory position. She totally understood, and it felt good to get it off my chest. Then I ran the adult AODA group, and she told me I did a good job. I dealt with another difficult situation. while it is not totally resolved, and I'm still a little worried, it is at least somewhat better. This whole experience has been difficult, but I think that is part of the point. Part of being a counselor is dealing with dificult sitiuations, and that includes knowing when to ask for help, and how to take care of myself. I guess I still want to be perfect at this, and I just have to realize I'm not going to be perfect, and I'm just at the beginning of this journey. Thankyou all so much, it feels good to know that at least I can come here to vent.