not getting any sleep.. cat!

kiopo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,

One of my kittens (9 months, half bengal, we've had them for 3 months) is a massive pest at night time! She wakes me up at least 3 times every night by running up to me, purring, head butts and licking me for about 20 minutes non stop. It's not for food or anything, and it is very cute but the frequency is making me really over-tired all the time for work. I live with my girlfriend but she only ever does it to me (slightly unfair!). Add to that the occasions when the other kitten decides to be annoying and it's not a recipe for much sleep!

We used to shut them out of the bedroom but the other kitten scratches and pulls up the carpet and they both seem to get distressed and meow by the closed door.

I've tried playing with her more when we get in from work, but even when she's tired she seems to take the time out to wake up and search for cuddles! It's really the licking and head-butting that is the problem, I'd have no problem with a cuddly cat.

Any advice?!

Thanks

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty used to do this too! We couldn't think of anything to stop it, but she's recently just stopped on her own. Hopefully yours will grow out of it too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiopo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by evakatharina

My kitty used to do this too! We couldn't think of anything to stop it, but she's recently just stopped on her own. Hopefully yours will grow out of it too.
Hopefully!! She doesn't look too dissimilar to your kitty actually (quite long ears!) - gives me hope. She's such a character!

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Loki does the same thing. This is what I do and it seems to work. He has a fleece at the end of the bed and if he gets off of it to come sleep on my face I put him back. I do this up to 3 times then he gets locked out of the room. I had to do this for 2 nights in a row then he started sleeping only on the fleece. Recently he has been pushing his luck though so I may need to repeat it. I really don't know if this would help you since Loki doesnt scratch at the door too much nor is he a kitten. I've heard some people use baby gates (2 stacked up) instead of closing doors...just block off a section of the hallway leading up to the door.
I didn't sleep for like 2 weeks when I first got Loki. I know how you feel...cute but annoying. Best of luck!

Oh...just remembered. My boyfriend's cat was a royal pain at night and we locked her out of the room. She would shake the door and scratch but after a few nights she gave up and was ok with it. Maybe you could put down some sort of plastic mat under your door to protect the carpet. Like those mats people put in show homes to protect the carpet. I dunno just brainstorming

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiopo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lokilove

My cat Loki does the same thing. This is what I do and it seems to work. He has a fleece at the end of the bed and if he gets off of it to come sleep on my face I put him back. I do this up to 3 times then he gets locked out of the room. I had to do this for 2 nights in a row then he started sleeping only on the fleece. Recently he has been pushing his luck though so I may need to repeat it. I really don't know if this would help you since Loki doesnt scratch at the door too much nor is he a kitten. I've heard some people use baby gates (2 stacked up) instead of closing doors...just block off a section of the hallway leading up to the door.
I didn't sleep for like 2 weeks when I first got Loki. I know how you feel...cute but annoying. Best of luck!

Oh...just remembered. My boyfriend's cat was a royal pain at night and we locked her out of the room. She would shake the door and scratch but after a few nights she gave up and was ok with it. Maybe you could put down some sort of plastic mat under your door to protect the carpet. Like those mats people put in show homes to protect the carpet. I dunno just brainstorming
Thanks for the advice! It's a good idea actually, I remember one week when I was particularly short of sleep I kept pushing her away and off the bed and at the end of the week when I put my hand out to her face she'd stop and sit down for a bit (well, maybe 20 seconds
) before continuing (or stay there and knead my face from a distance
). If I can get myself up long enough to kick her out it might work!

We tried the mat thing but to be honest they're a bit of a double act and they kept managing to remove it, and even opening the door together (bit of an old house and the landlord needs to replace the locks!). Rosie, the kitten in question, has actually made it her life mission to get into another shut room - my recording studio - and I'm not even sure how she manages to do it sometimes, I just walk in and see her curled up on the studio chair, happy with herself! It just became an equal hassle trying to lock them out of the bedroom, but it might be worth trying again.

So I think I'll work harder at the repetition thing. She's such a gentle kitten, I don't want to punish her for wanting a cuddle but I think you understand where I'm coming from with the severe lack of sleep! Funny actually, in one crazy idea I went up to her when she was asleep and did a little headbump and pestered her... she liked it
!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, my cat was like this for a while. Just be firm about pushing her away and don't give any affection at night and along with the other tips, she should get the idea.

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat used to do the same thing with the meowing outside the door at night. We went and purchased a ssscat which is a little can of compressed air and a motion sensor on top. When the cat gets within range it goes off. It worked great. Haven't had a problem since.