Not for the anachrophobic!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just moved to NC in July, with our 3 dogs and 2 cats (that car ride was fun
). I knew there were different creatures in NC than there were in Central New York, but this fella I found in my back yard, blew me away. I looked him up, and he isn't venomous, but he looks...well...."
interesting"

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
as an anrachnophobic I am glad he lives by you... but as a animal lover he is gorgeous.. what kind is he??

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbw999

We just moved to NC in July, with our 3 dogs and 2 cats (that car ride was fun
). I knew there were different creatures in NC than there were in Central New York, but this fella I found in my back yard, blew me away. I looked him up, and he isn't venomous, but he looks...well...."
interesting"
That's actually a "fella-ess" as in female.

Good ole garden spider. You want to keep those around in the summer, they keep the bugs under some measure of control.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously didn't get the warning! Arachnophobe here and did NOT like that picture! Wow! I'm smart

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be harmless...but if he were in my yard he`d be DEAD! I`d drown him with a whole can of Raid!
Linda

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

He may be harmless...but if he were in my yard he`d be DEAD! I`d drown him with a whole can of Raid!
Linda
If you did you would be doing your garden a disservice, not to mention putting a whole lot of pollutant into your soil and your air. Garden spiders eat a whole lot of bad bugs, and their webs are capable of catching more mosquitos and flies than you could count.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's pretty, granted I wouldn't want her in my house. For the most part I like spiders because I hate bugs, and they eat lots of bugs!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

as an anrachnophobic I am glad he lives by you... but as a animal lover he is gorgeous.. what kind is he??
Here is a link that tells you some things about him (oops "her" according to Kai Bengals up above) , with other links if you are really interested. She is curious to watch, and I understand that she does eat a ton of bugs. She would only bite if she was harrassed. As a spider papparrazi, Im glad she just posed for me. I didnt ask her for an autograph.

http://www.naturalsciences.org/funst...en_spider.html

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't she goh-jus? What a beautiful spoida!
That was my Steve Irwin impersonation.
But she is truly stunning! And an atribute to your garden. Enjoy her! Just don't name her Charlotte.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes!!
I would run the other way..I am so scared of spiders!!!...where do you live that you get spiders like that??, I've never seen one like that before!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Obviously didn't get the warning! Arachnophobe here and did NOT like that picture! Wow! I'm smart

I am only afraid of the little spiers, wolf spiders and suck. baby spiders don't bother me.. but neither do the tarantulas.. I don't know why

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

Isn't she goh-jus? What a beautiful spoida!
That was my Steve Irwin impersonation.
But she is truly stunning! And an atribute to your garden. Enjoy her! Just don't name her Charlotte.
thats a pretty good Steve Irwin!!!!!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a common garden spider?!!! Yoiks!! Wouldn't be letting my kitties near her. She does have pretty colours though - I thought that was a sign that they were dangerous?
Our apartment is being inundated with spiders right now. I guess they're looking for a nice warm place to weather the winter in. Too bad for them that Wiggies is my little spiderman!