Not considering euthanasia anymore

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soooo glad to hear your boy is doing better, he's so handsome! :) I don't know if this is helpful at all but just throwing it out there..when it comes to many ailments people have used Turmeric for inflammation, pain and to shrink tumor's for ourselves and animals. They make what is called a "golden paste" I take turmeric myself once a day and I can't rave it up enough, it's helped me in so many ways!!  However, I'm not knowledgeable about giving it to animals but belong to a group in Facebook where I see lots of people using the "golden paste" for their animals with superb results! I just thought I'd throw it out there, even if it's an idea for someone else. The facebook group I belong to is called "Turmeric Users Worldwide Success". I hope your cat keeps up with the great improvements!

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Soooo glad to hear your boy is doing better, he's so handsome! :) I don't know if this is helpful at all but just throwing it out there..when it comes to many ailments people have used Turmeric for inflammation, pain and to shrink tumor's for ourselves and animals. They make what is called a "golden paste" I take turmeric myself once a day and I can't rave it up enough, it's helped me in so many ways!!  However, I'm not knowledgeable about giving it to animals but belong to a group in Facebook where I see lots of people using the "golden paste" for their animals with superb results! I just thought I'd throw it out there, even if it's an idea for someone else. The facebook group I belong to is called "Turmeric Users Worldwide Success". I hope your cat keeps up with the great improvements!
Out of curiosity and searching for a miracle I just read up on golden paste. There are many controversial issues surrounding it.

#1. Turmeric is one of the world's most contaminated spices with everything from salmonella to lead.

#2. The black pepper which the recipe claims is crucial for the turmeric to be properly absorbed. Black pepper is on the "no" list for our feline friends.

#3. Coconut oil is also used to make the paste and has been associated with liver failure in cats.

In theory the stuff sounds great, but between the pepper and the coconut oil... this stuff shouldn't be given to just any cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Somebody's DEFINITELY feeling better. Some quick update shots from my cell camera-- sorry for the quality

Dr. E thinks we might be able to move forward on the dental in about 2 weeks. She wants to let him have time to finish the Clavamox and get established with better eating again, then if he's good we can schedule the dental work. We will see how he is at that point and gel the plan up more solidly based on how he is at that point. What I see now is very encouraging. No fluids for this evening since he's eating quite well today, so he gets a break. But he still gets his Clav and his Bupe, at the very least as I monitor him for any slipping.

But tonight, he was twining on my legs, rolling over on his back, face marking everything with his not-as-sore side, meowing normally... even trying to sneak through our ankles and out to the yard (NOT allowed). I would say that today was very, very good-- his best day in at least 2 weeks.

"Yum, this is pretty good stuff... "

"I think I'll have some more. Like this abandoned plate over here... sorry, Skye!"

"I am MASTER of the HOUSE! Well, this house, anyway. Skye has her roof. I have mine."

Last edited:

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's so handsome! I loved seeing pictures of him stuffing his face. Can't emphasize enough how happy I am for you that's he is feeling better

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Breakfast was quite a sight! All three cats were lined up in the kitchen, their little faces shining with anticipation-- I haven't seen ALL THREE lined up in... well, I can't say HOW long. I put two textures of "sqwish" down and let them decide which one they felt like eating. It was so sweet that I found a happy tear welling up in my eyes. This is really huge. If you knew the workings here, you'd understand the "dramatic" wording

Schrodie seems to be feeling REALLY good because he slopped up the Gravy Lovers' chicken flavor-- then turned to the meatier seafood and ate some of it before Skye shagged him off. This is even before the Bupe. I may wait to give that this morning unless I see more hesitation at the plates again. No need for over-medicating the little guy! He did well without his SQ last night, too. So we will just do the antibiotics, watch the social interaction and eating behavior, and resume Bupe and/or fluids PRN ("as necessary").

And Skye being more assertive is quite a difference because Skye has been rather 'retiring' and 'passive' (not lethargic) for a while. But SHE got a refill on her predniSOLONE  for her allergies and that helps her so much... better than predniSONE  that "Dr. M" had been dispensing against my queries. He insisted that "they're the same, they act the same"... no, they do not... not on MY cats, anyway. And it's NOT the same as Depo, not on her. Skye is a new cat now.that her allergies are better suppressed with the predniSOLONE  . It's only a "slight" difference between the medicines, but a significant difference in the result. The difference between water and hydrogen peroxide is only one little oxygen atom, but THOSE two very different substances with very different actions. A tiny difference can mean a big change.

Big test-- a small thunderstorm and rain passed through. It's raining now. Lately, that has been enough to send everyone into hiding. Now, Schrodie is at the window sill sniffing the rainy smells. Skye is in the bedroom, mad because it's raining and she can't go out but not hiding. And Tara is just cruising the house like usual.

What a difference in the household dynamics now that Skye and Schrodie are getting their discomforts properly addressed-- they'll probably never be buddies, but at least they aren't antagonizing each other anymore. They're even sitting closer to one another while before, Skye would get as far from Schrodie as possible. Lots of insight into this, but the nutshell is that now we are all feeling more easy, and the stress from pain or 'not feeling really well' was probably a big contributor to the household tension (tension within the Clan-- for the Warriors  fans).

It would be so much easier if they could just speak our native tongue... I am afraid that I don't speak Meow all that fluently. It's a tonal language. Never was good at those... 

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are too funny! I understand what you mean. For a few months before her lymphoma dx Toothless acted like Andy and Jake are the spawns of Satan. Andy has claw marks from where she swiped at his paws and face. I felt bad. He just loves her and she despises him.

Now that she's on the fentanyl she's come around to them. Yesterday she dragged my 7 week old kitten into her hide away cube so she could groom him. This is a huge difference from growling and hissing anytime another cat got close. She's finally not in pain so she doesn't freak out about the other cats possibly hurting her.

I wish I could have her understand me too. I heard when cats slow blink, it's them saying they trust you. So whenever we are cuddling I slow blink at her and she does it back. I must look ridiculous blinking in slow motion and rubbing my forehead against hers!

Last edited:

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are too funny! I understand what you mean. For a few months before her lymphoma dx Toothless acted like Andy and Jake are the spawns of Satan. Andy has claw marks from where she swiped at his paws and face. I felt bad. He just loves her and she despises him.

Now that she's on the fentanyl she's come around to them. Yesterday she dragged my 7 week old kitten into her hide away cube so she could groom him. This is a huge difference from growling and hissing anytime another cat got close. She's finally not in pain so she doesn't freak out about the other cats possibly hurting her.

I wish I could have her understand me too. I heard when cats slow blink, it's them saying they trust you. So whenever we are cuddling I slow blink at her and she does it back. I must look ridiculous blinking in slow motion and rubbing my forehead against hers!
That's the equivalent of your kitty blowing you kisses! We must both look equally ridiculous because I do the very same thing. I think we all do.

Pain does go beyond the body. It affects everyone around us, not just the one who is sick or hurt. The hurting cat doesn't want to be messed with, and he is also sending out "pain and fear" scent, which puts the other cats off even more. Then the apple cart gets overturned and everyone's grumping at each other. When Tara was trying to lick Schrodie's face to clean him up before he got diagnosed and began treatment-- he would attack her. Now he doesn't stink any more, she doesn't try to clean him up, and he's feeling more glad to have the other cats around... even Skye. And now that HER itching is easing off with the predniSOLONE-- she feels better, too. No more fear and pain smells to upset them and no more pain and itching to make them feel bad. This was double trouble with both Skye and Schrodie feeling crummy! No wonder it was so tense around here, and now we Twolegs aren't having to break up fights and play referee so much WE can relax and take our one vibes out of the equation, which helps even more.

It's complicated stuff, isn't it? 

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity and searching for a miracle I just read up on golden paste. There are many controversial issues surrounding it.

#1. Turmeric is one of the world's most contaminated spices with everything from salmonella to lead.

#2. The black pepper which the recipe claims is crucial for the turmeric to be properly absorbed. Black pepper is on the "no" list for our feline friends.

#3. Coconut oil is also used to make the paste and has been associated with liver failure in cats.

In theory the stuff sounds great, but between the pepper and the coconut oil... this stuff shouldn't be given to just any cat.
Yeah, I agree...it was just a thought. As I mentioned, I've only really done searching up on Turmeric in the case of ingesting it for a human, not for an animal, just thought it might be an idea and of course research on your own and make your own decisions regarding it. :) An awful lot of people have good luck with it with their pets, particularly dogs, cats and horses...I couldn't help but notice...but as with anything, I'm sure there's benefits and downfalls.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I agree...it was just a thought. As I mentioned, I've only really done searching up on Turmeric in the case of ingesting it for a human, not for an animal, just thought it might be an idea and of course research on your own and make your own decisions regarding it. :) An awful lot of people have good luck with it with their pets, particularly dogs, cats and horses...I couldn't help but notice...but as with anything, I'm sure there's benefits and downfalls.
I've read about the success rates in horses, dogs, and humans too. It's a good thought. One of those cases where you've got to decide does the benefit outweigh the risk?

You can find organic non contaminated turmeric, use olive oil instead of coconut, but the black pepper is still an issue. You'd have to use the smallest amount possible.

Mackiemac : how is Schrodie and Skye today?

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read about the success rates in horses, dogs, and humans too. It's a good thought. One of those cases where you've got to decide does the benefit outweigh the risk?

You can find organic non contaminated turmeric, use olive oil instead of coconut, but the black pepper is still an issue. You'd have to use the smallest amount possible.

Mackiemac : how is Schrodie and Skye today?
Yes I would most definately stay away from the black pepper. Did the actual ingredients for the "golden paste" for animals inparticular include black pepper? That seems strange to me... I know it's a benefit for humans as it increases the effectiveness of it and keeps it in your body longer. Without it, I think about 60% of the turmeric we lose in our waste.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I would most definately stay away from the black pepper. Did the actual ingredients for the "golden paste" for animals inparticular include black pepper? That seems strange to me... I know it's a benefit for humans as it increases the effectiveness of it and keeps it in your body longer. Without it, I think about 60% of the turmeric we lose in our waste.
Yes, the recipe for animals includes it for the same reasons. It's to help the turmeric absorb better. Without it, it's simply an in and out deal and loses some of its intended potency.

There may be a modified recipe out there, but I've yet to find it.

crazycatlady41

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the recipe for animals includes it for the same reasons. It's to help the turmeric absorb better. Without it, it's simply an in and out deal and loses some of its intended potency.

There may be a modified recipe out there, but I've yet to find it.
Interesting! I never really paid much attention to using it in animals, just noticed they did with good results... so didn't pay attention to the ingredients but yes, I just can't imagine using the pepper part of it for them. Especially a cat I would think. Be awfully hard on the guts you would think. Maybe join the fb group and ask for their opinion about the pepper and see if they know of a modified recipe? "Turmeric Users Worldwide Success", they seem like a friendly bunch, just like here, very helpful in answering my questions regarding human consumption of Turmeric.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may just do that although I generally avoid Facebook. However, for this situation it maybe worth it. Thanks!

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: Schrodie is continuing to hang in there. He's eating pretty well and feeling "okay" as long as he's comfortable. I let him have a couple of options at meal time, and whatever he doesn't eat-- Skye probably will! He loves kitten wet food. Yes, I know it's high calorie and all that stuff, but it's just for the time being-- and not even every meal. But it gets more calories (energy) into him in the smaller volumes that he's eating right now due to the pain. He doesn't like the ultra-smooth Hill's a/d at all. The kitten food is at least a bit more textured but still easy to eat. He eats a few bites, takes a break and comes back for a few more bites a little later... wash, rinse, repeat.

When his Bupe is working, Schrodie is social and loving. He eats well. He was even hunting little spring craneflies and moths that flitted into the house, snatching them out of the air and popping them in his mouth. Oh, yum. See thread on tasting your cat's food... 

He has a check-up on Friday, so we will probably set the date and a firmer plan for his dental work. Of course the X rays and detailed "asleep" exam the day of the dental will tell us a lot more, but we know already that his upper left fang is going away, he will have a thorough cleaning and extractions of any other teeth that have a problem. Even a "small enamel lesion" would condemn the tooth if that lesion is even close to the tooth neck. I know those far too well, and the cat always loses the tooth, even with salvage therapy like a crown or "resin bonding" procedure. Once the resorption starts, that tooth is heading out the door and the cat will start hurting from that sooner or later. Seen it thousands of times in my work lifetime... not too much exaggeration here. So I will instruct Doc to treat any problem teeth aggressively if she feels it's in his best interest.

We'll know some more after Friday's visit.

~Mackie

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE AFTER VET FOLLOW-UP: The antibiotic has worked and the inflammation is resolving for the time being. A repeat of the CBC also showed that his neutrophils are back down to normal from a high of 22,000 2 weeks ago to a middle of normal 6,000. He obviously feels MUCH better, too. He's been hopping up on my shoulders again, getting into mischief, and eating his soft food wonderfully. He still has some localized redness around his upper left molar and 4th premolar and he does still need a dental. But he's really just gotten back to eating regularly without a lot of coaxing, and she wants to wait about a month to ensure that he does put a little weight back on. I think he can manage soft canned food-- she said that kitten food is fine for him, and what we now know about feline nutrition points to so-called "kitten foods" as being okay even for older cats. Protein restriction used to be the course of choice for cats with older kidneys-- but we now know that doing so forces them to resort to burning muscle for protein (cachexia). It's better to control things like phosphorus when feeding for renal support (as always, discuss your cat's specific dietary needs with your vet). And of course, canned is a better choice than dry for most cats. So... he'll like that!

We also checked out a lump on his shoulder area-- nothing bad, just a spot where he probably got his  Depo-Medrol shot. He got a lump like that after his vaccines when his last "vet" gave them in the scruff/shoulder "pit" area-- exactly where I have asked for vaccines to NOT go... they are to vaccinate my cats in the limbs only, as low as safely possible, never in the scruff or high on the hip. That "vet's" failure to listen and communicate and show concern for our pets is why he is no longer our vet. The lump this time is just fine, only inflammatory cells, nothing suspicious.

TL/DR: Schrodie is fine, vet wants to do the work in a month so we can be sure he's eating right and gains a little weight. No sense making him hurt with extractions right now and scaring him away from food altogether when we JUST got him back to consistent eating. Infection is gone, WBC normal, odd shoulder lump is just inflammation from the Depo shot, loves his kitten food, vet says that's okay. He'll live.