Not cleaning bottom after litter box

hindas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm new here. I adopted a cat 2 weeks ago. I've had cats all my life so am familiar with them. However I need help with this one. She used the litter box straight away no problem. However in the past few days she has not cleaned herself after pooping and I am seeing she is leaving marks wherever she sits. Any suggestions how to deal with this please

rampionrampage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is the most pleasant term for something so... unpleasant.

My dad's American Eskimo needed those. Never heard the term for it before, though.

I had to switch foods with my first cat. The butt stamp (my not-so-elegant term) eased up after that.

Edit - He wasn't accustomed to wet food yet. Got better over time.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Also if she's longhair, there are some litters specifically designed for longhaired cats. Is she "scooting" her bottom along the floor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hindas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no shes short hair and shes not scooting.

any other ideas???

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my  medium  haired male ( he has fluffy pantaloons and some areas on his body is shorter) has had that problem from time to time but i clip his fur around his bum it helps heaps.  sometimes i have had to  wet his bum with a wet cloth with just water, just after he has  finished his business and scratched etc   usually It  would make him have another look and clean it lol. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hindas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks what is a littermate

cashley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you cleaning the litter box enough? Mine is long haired and to avoid the issue I have to clean twucwca day and make sure he hlgets sine dry but he doesn't seem to be a normal kitty and drinks water in the regular ( even if if i " cough" maybe give it to him in a cup on the counter 3 times a day because he asks so sweetly as I'm filling the family jugs ) so I think the all wet diet is over kill for him ..... Either way if I dint give him some dry his poop is to wet and combined with his lung fur it's a issue .

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
H hindas
Are you still having problems with a poopy butt?

You may need to try different foods to see if her stool is either too firm and "dangles", or if her stool is softer and she can't totally empty or shake it loose.

You didn't say what you are feeding her. There are a lot of threads on the nutrition forum that talk about gastrointestinal issues that can change with different foods.

Every cat is different, and you might need to experiment with several varieties to find foods that don't result in your problem..

Some members add small amounts of canned pumpkin to their cat's food. It adds fiber and can help regulate the consistency of the stool.
You want plain pumpkin,not pie filling with spices.

Some members also use pure squash baby food instead of pumpkin. The baby food should not have spices. The jars are a lot smaller and you'll have less waste