Not being able to trust the vet so asking here

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat with kidney disease has recently started sneezing and sniffing a lot. Especially when she's grooming herself after eating and sometimes while eating. The vet prescribed "Zyrtec" and idk if i should give her that with her kidney disease. I've read on google and it says give the medicine with caution if the cat has kidney or liver disease and somewhere it also says not to give the medicine to cats with these diseases. I'm confused

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think you'll find that the sites that are saying to not do it are ones where they believe people are administering it to their cat without a vet's advice. That was what I found in my search. Actual vet and animal hospital sites seem OK with it. There are many antihistimines and Zyrtec seems to be the most benign.
It's always a matter of weighing things up, too. For example my cat has severe arthritis, but Meloxicam is contraindicated for cats with renal disease. We (my vet and I) made the decision to monitor his kidneys and give the medication as it's a quality of life issue.
Zyrtec is nowhere near as harmful to kidneys as Meloxicam, but you see what I mean. Your cat is suffering from allergies. Your vet has made the call that it's worth trying the Zyrtec and I think that's probably wise.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with mani mani . Just about any med comes with precautions with cats who have either liver or kidney issues - that is primarily because most meds are processed by/filtered through one, or both, of those organs.

It is very exacerbating to be sure, but sometimes you have to weigh the benefits against the risks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The allergy thing has stopped. However, i wanted to ask this one time the vet prescribed Xobix 7.5 mg tablet to my cat HALF dose a few weeks after her tumor surgery. Had to give it for 10 days by crushing it and adding in her wet food. Idk if it's safe for cats. Could you ask your best vet that question?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Xobic is just an international brand name for meloxicam. Cats are typically given the liquid form of meloxicam by vets. It looks like your vet has given you the pills for Humans. That is fine to use, just follow the vet's prescribed dose of half a pill (approximately 3.75 mg in a half).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read somewhere that meloxicam shouldn't be used in repeat dosage. The vet told me to give it for 10 days and before that I'm sure the vets gave her Meloxicam as pain relievers after her 3 surgeries. Not just that she also had a series of infections and they must've given it then too. Does that make it repeated dosage? I don't quite understand what is meant by repeat dosage