Not a man of his word...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Did you get paid overtime pay for working over? And, truthfully, if you've only been there 2 months and you've already taken a full day off with pay, that could be your earned vacation. You need to see what their policy is. I can take days off with pay, but I have to burn vacation hours. Only being there for 2 months, you may have gotten enough hours to cover that one day, and maybe he didn't realize you already burned them. I get 5 hours of vacation every pay period, and it goes quick! It could be if you didn't have the vacation hours to cover it, it has to go unpaid.

I would definitely check on their requirements for vacation time and calling off.

He should have checked though to make sure you had the vacation time to cover it before he told you to take the full day.
No one gets overtime pay

There is no company policy here
Seriously, there isn't.
This is a brand new company. And I'm one of 4 employees. 2 are waitress' and 1 is a cook.
I'm "HR Manager" If that's what you want to call it

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

No one gets overtime pay

Seriously, there isn't.
This is a brand new company. And I'm one of 4 employees. 2 are waitress' and 1 is a cook.
Isn't it a labor law that anything over 40 hours is overtime unless salary postion? If nobody was required to pay ovetime for hourly workers these companies would really take advantage of us

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

No one gets overtime pay

Seriously, there isn't.
Doesn't that put you in charge of payroll and things like time off?

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:
He just called and told me he wants to try and make it to where ALL the employees have to have a bank account and they
have to have direct deposit! :

They can do it,and it is legal,my company does this.ans a lot of times the check is there before pay day.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sucks - What a .....Hmm Can't put what I want to write

As far as the bank account thing - That isn't an option in Australia anymore - There is no such thing as being paid with cash or a cheque, all earnings must be put into a bank account.

Sucks really - I wish it didn't have to be that way, but I suppose it means that the tax office has more control of how much people are being paid and therefore how much tax they owe.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

That sucks - What a .....Hmm Can't put what I want to write

As far as the bank account thing - That isn't an option in Australia anymore - There is no such thing as being paid with cash or a cheque, all earnings must be put into a bank account.

Sucks really - I wish it didn't have to be that way, but I suppose it means that the tax office has more control of how much people are being paid and therefore how much tax they owe.
I must be one of those rare folks that think automatic deposit is a good thing. I don't have to go trudging off to the bank to deposit/cash cheques and some days in our Canadian winter I'm darn glad not to have to. My paycheque is always in my bank account by midnight of the day before payday. If I need information my pay stub gives me all the particulars and is handled through inter-company mail.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often times it costs a company a lot less to do direct deposit then cutting checks to every employee. You save a tree too...heck the place I work for doesn't even send me a copy of the DD...I can view it all online.

As for the time off that really stinks I would be upset too. My personal experience has taught to just never believe it until you see it if the offer came verbally.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a dirty trick for your boss to pull on you. I mean... I could understand if he didn't want to pay you and told you from the beginning. But it's totally unfair since he said he would pay you.

The company I work for requires direct deposit for all employees. I actually like it. But there still were some hold outs that resisted. Didn't do them much good though. I have to say!
The world, it is a changin'!