not a fan of strangers..especially women.

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jericho has always been very social and playful, but never super aggressive towards guests. but now he is VERY mean to anyone that comes over minus 1specific person.
he will sniff and act ok and then at the slightest move, or even for no reason at all, will jump out of nowhere, start hissing at our guest(s) and then attacking..hard. bad biting and scratching. we end up having to lock him in the bedroom until everyone leaves.
he has acted like this since we brought him back home in january (for those who dont know we gave him to a friend(woman) for 2 weeks after i got out of the hospital for an asthma attack). he is better around men but it cant be more than 2 of them at a time, and he REALLY doesnt like women. he is never like this with us and its starting to become a hassle because we cant have any company or he gets locked up..and i hate locking him in a room

advice!?

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this seems too easy, but I'll suggest it anyway:
If there isn't anything wrong with him health-wise, try feeding him his favorite food or treats when you have guests over. If and when he begins warming up to them again (probably after several visits), ask a guest or two to give a bit of the food to him. Hopefully, this will show him that guests can mean nice things too

Good luck and I hope something will work for you and Jericho!

edited to add: this is what I did with my Mourek - he was a bit skittish around visitors but after trying this, he was eating chicken out of a four-year-old's hand! (the little girl was very quiet and gentle, but still
)

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL... I'm sorry, but I've never heard of a "vicious" cat! I simply can't imagine a cat coming out and threatening guests. My cat's are so scared of strangers, that they're in their hiding places before the door bell rings. If I were a guest, I'd be much more afraid of a vicious cat that a vicious dog!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady across the street from me has a nasty cat that attacks EVERYONE, even her.

Everything health wise has been ruled oud and she always just puts the cat away now, she's an elderly lady and has had the cat since she was a kitten, her and one of her friends were sitting at the kitchen table when Ginger came up from out of nowhere and seriously attacked her friend, she draws blood, growls, hisses and just isn't nice.

A girl on another forum (guinea pigs) had a cat that always viciously attacked the mailman

The only suggestion I have is also the treats. I really hope you find a solution that works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im thinking about taking him to the vet to see about anti-anxiety medicine...i just dont know what else we can do. everyone is afraid of him and i dont know why he developed this anger towards strangers 4 months ago. calming chews dont work and he could care less about treats when we tried that. hes more interested in the people and why they are on his couch or in his living room or why they need to be near me lol