Nostalgia For Other Decades

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the late 90s, I remember a sudden upswing in nostalgia for the 60s. I was about eleven, and I was fascinated by the 60s. I had shirts and jewelry with smiley faces, bell-bottoms, and even convinced my parents to let me hang beads in my doorway :lol: I was exploring feng shui (at the time, I honestly thought it might be true) and vegetarianism (a vow to stop eating meat lasted a whole two weeks.)

Have you ever gotten involved in decadal nostalgia?

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Oh my dog, yes! I think I was born nostalgic for the '60s. I would have gone to Woodstock, but I was only four.

My old man is 20 years my senior and I love to get him talking about what he was doing while I was growing up in the '70s, hitch hiking around the country in the '80s, and trying to survive the '90s.

That's probably just my own bad luck at being born at the end of the baby boom and his for being born at the beginning. I've seen the millenials tune him out and walk right past him as if he didn't matter.

As far as aging goes, as a baby crone I'm a lot more grumpy than I expected or planned; for all the hours I spent watching Star Trek, The Jetsons, Sealab 2020, and reading cheap science fiction paperbacks, I can't find one single thing to like about late stage capitalism or learning to die in the anthropocene in general.

Except for kitties, of course. Willow doesn't know about global warming. The forest is still the forest to her. She's a moggie, so she isn't even significantly less healthy than the moggies of the 20th century.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was grown in the '60s, and Woodstock was a shock. Only the hippies knew about it, and when the news of it came on in the evening news on Monday, we were all shocked. If I get nostalgic, it's about the '50s. Life was simpler then, but every generation says that. I think we just weren't aware of anything outside our little bubbles.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember that period in the 90s. I didn’t get too into it; but my BFFs sister worked at a thrift store and was basically a clothing collector. She would find the good vintage stuff that came in. We could basically go shopping at her house; which was upstairs from bffs house. At one of her birthdays her sister basically gave each of us a bag of clothes. :crazy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not nostalgic for a time period at all. I'm slightly nostalgic for childhood and the toys/games/media I consumed, but I found many aspects of childhood to be stressful and unpleasant. But not having a job and bills was pretty cool ;).