Nose Spray for Congested Cats

gailcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To KrazyKat, I read online that Vicks Vaporub is toxic to cats - it's not the mint, which is okay (catnip is in the mint family), but the camphor.  I'm surprised your vet said it was okay?! 

gailcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
P.S. Sorry, Stephanietx, about the Vicks I should have been replying to Krazykat instead, which I just did.  My replies about the saline and vaporizers were correctly addressed to you, though.  Thanks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a really old thread!  LOL  Glad the info helped you, though.  I have used Vick's on my kitty with good success.  I put it out of the reach of her tongue and she was so ill she wasn't grooming herself.  Don't know if they still make the plastic tube, but that works, too if you lay it close to where the kitty is sleeping.  The vaporizor (warm mist, not cool mist or a humidifier) is a dream!  Also, you can steam your kitty in the bathroom frequently.  Just get the bathroom nice and steamy, sit in the bathroom with the kitty until the steam dissipates. 

If you need more info or help, you might want to start a new thread.

gailcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To Stephanietx, thanks so much for replying!  I realized it was an old thread when I saw the 2009 dates of the posts, but I just replied anyway.  I will start a new thread if/when I want to contact anybody about the same subject.  Meanwhile, I was glad to hear from you about the vaporizer - since two of my cold mist vaporizers conked out on me after using them a lot for my kitty for the past few months, I just ordered a hot steam vaporizer.  Kaz had it on sale for $9.99 and by joining their free Savings Circle, I got another dollar off and free shipping, so the total was only $8.99.  Looking forward to receiving it and hoping it will help her.  I will check with my vet about the Vicks and try it if they say it's safe.  Thanks again!  Best, gailcats

christylove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am excited to find this site.  i need answers and also have a lot of answers. I m a foster mom, mostly to kittens so i constantly am searching for good healthy tips and answers.  about taking a pets temperature i have found just a digital thermometer in the crease of the hind legs almost pressed into fold gives a very close reading  it may not be quite accurate but it will let you know if your pets temp is elevated  Also whoever suggested the saline in the nose works perfect  I see them do it at the shelter but its not to gentle  so i did one tenth ml in kittens nose and it caused him to sneeze some junk came out so thanks for the kinder way.  see you guys lots

peelamelon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband used to lightly pinch out cat snot--I guess how it would be done for a baby? By pressing lightly with thumb and forefinger starting at the bridge of the nose and going down, and then capturing the snot with a tissue. He was able to do this, I tried once and was successful, but I wasn't confident in it. That was a special cat who let him do that.

ratandrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What I do with my cat who has Herpes is do light suction on her nose with one of those baby bulb suction thingys that you can buy at any drugstore or WalMart.

jj fleming

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the frequency of outbreaks and symptoms you mention, it sounds like Turtle might have Feline Herpes with an added bacterial infection.  Herpes can be transmitted as early as mom to kitten in the womb. It can also be transmitted through shared litter boxes, food, water, grooming of and by an infected cat, etc.  Some cats are latent carriers and may never show symptoms but still pass on the virus. Chlamydia and Mycoplasma also cannot be ruled out. I would not wait to take Turtle into the vet any longer.

If you do try the nose drops, only use on one side.  Do not alternate. The cat only needs one side to breathe. Once the nose has cleared up on the non medicated side, discontinue the use of it.  Don't worry that the side you had medicated gets congested. That is a reaction from the nose drops and will clear up on its own, while the cat now has the other side clear to breathe from. 

Do check to see if she is dehydrated by lifting the skin on the back of her neck (where mom picked her up) and see how fast it snaps back. It should snap back like a rubber band. The longer it takes to go back in place, the worse it is. You might want to add water to her food - no dry kibble as it will further dehydrate her.  Also - unless you know how deep to go with a baby thermometer, and have a steady and gentle hand, I would leave the temperature check to the vet's assistant.

You might find this helpful

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-herpes-symptoms-treatment

Check US Davis CA  under Feline Herpes or Upper-respiratory infections if you want more in-depth info.

By the way, you might want to check into a raw food diet for Turtle.  It is highly digestible, and the most readily available nutrition to her system.  She is an obligate carnivore - 'obligated' to derive her protein from meat only - 'biologically essential to thrive and for survival'.  That is also the way a cat is designed to best take in their water for hydration - with their meat. There are many balanced (important) raw food brands now on the market. My cats and I have settled on Rad Cat.

Obligate carnivores do not have the ability to make some necessary vitamins and fatty acids that eating a raw meat diet provides in their pre-formed state such as Vitamin A, beta-carotene and niacin. Their requirement for taurine is very high, and found almost exclusively in animal flesh, as is Arginine, which is critical to each meal for life. 

Cats do not have the metabolic abilities to break down carbohydrates, but instead use protein in order to meet their blood glucose requirements (gluconeogenesis).  Diets containing grains cause stress to their body as it tries to break them down without the necessary enzymes to do so.  The resulting renal stress eventually causes kidney failure, the most common major disease of cats and cause of death.  A diet lacking an adequate amount of protein to supply their energy needs will also cause the cat's body to break down it's own muscle and organs.  It is never a matter of a cat getting too much protein as some vets think - the facts and data tell us it is a matter of what kind of protein the cat is getting.

Well - gosh - sorry to bend your 'ear', but I know you want to do all that you can for your Turtle.  That is how I was and what made me go on a learning quest, doing research into what makes a healthy cat.

Blessings to you and Turtle.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is what I use.  Of course Purrcy doesn't like it but he does tolerate my putting a few drops in his nose.  And it does help.  He is ALWAYS stuffy.

missygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To JJFlemming; 

Thanks for all the wonderful information about what a cats diet should consist of but my question is this, should they ever eat dry, if so what kind would you suggest and at what frequency?