Normally Laid-back, Happy Cat Going On Day 5 Of Hiding

fresshh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today is Friday. On Monday, my normally fun-loving, goofy, mega-social cat started having twitchy back and running and hiding. Of course I Google it and find feline hyper-somethingorother and totally freak out.

Took her to vet Wednesday, and because she had tiny little scabs on her neck, the vet treated her (and her sister) for fleas, even though they are indoor cats.

Vet said if she continues to hide after a few days, to call her back. Cat is still eating/drinking/pooping, and will come out like once every 3 hours for a pet and then run back for no reason. Sister had same treatment and is happy as a clam.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced such an overnight switch in behavior from their normally calm kitty.

So worried!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats switch behaviors when sick or stressed quite often. Never had a cat with fleas but it makes sense -- hiding because of discomfort isn't unusual. Plus sounds like your vet nailed the dx. As I understand it, the tiny scabs on the neck is one of the classic signs of fleas, and coupled with the twitchy back, seems like a pretty easy dx despite being an indoor only cat (vets are always going on about how you can bring stuff back on your shoes and such). So hopefully, your cat should be back to normal in a couple of days, and vet did the right thing by leaving the door open for a return visit if the hiding doesn't resolve.

I think you can justifiably be calm!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the Texas gulf coast. From the time it warms up in the spring until mid autumn when it starts to cool off, you can pick up fleas in your lawn on your shoes and lower legs. Then you bring them into the house. Your pets don't have to go outside to get fleas.

Some years past, someone tracked fleas into our office building. The company had to give us a three day weekend when they had to fog the entire 6 story building.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fresshh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yikes!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just very dramatic about their dislike of vet visits and go into hiding post visit to recover from their trauma. Just ignore the behavior and the cat will come around.