Normal sibling behavior?

fleurdelivres

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Happy New Year everyone!

I recently adopted two adolescent kittens, a boy and a girl, who have lived together all their lives (all eight months or so) - first one the street with their feral mother, then a little time in a foster home with lots of other cats, now with me. They're both a little skittish sometimes if I move quickly or seem to be walking directly toward them, but otherwise they've settled in well and are comfortable asking for petting (by which of course I mean, "informing me that I will be petting them and in what manner").

I think I'm just overreacting to be concerned about this, but they spend a lot of time chasing each other, lying in wait around corners to pounce on each other, sneak attacks, and tumbling around and around with their forelegs wrapped around each other, biting. All while making this chirrup noise and usually one is running away from the other (though sometimes they switch). It can get quite noisy as they crash into walls and skid across the floor, but I never notice any fur missing or other damage, there's never any "cursing" and they just kind of flop over and stare warily at each other when they're done. Sometimes there is hissing, sometimes ears are forward and sometimes bent back.

Other than this they often show signs of what I think(?) is affection, like mashing their heads together and rubbing their bodies against each other, and they sleep in the same bed a lot.

This behavior would be really adorable if I could quell my anxieties about there being any kind of aggression. Does this sound like normal sibling spats/playing? I do try to play with them myself quite a bit, to keep them engaged and work out some of their kitten energy, but maybe I'm not doing enough? If it's just playing, how can I tell if it does escalate into something I need to intervene in?

For the record, these activities never involve my little dog, who lived here before they moved in. They never pounce on her or show any aggression that I'm aware of.

Sorry about the noobie questions and thanks for any advice. I've attached a couple blurry, inadequate iPhone photos of the scrap that just occurred on the rug, if that helps :)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes tussling, chasing (including a cat running away), lying in wait, some biting etc. are all very normal especially at their age.

Blood, missing fur, and a cat seeming genuinely afraid and trying to hide/get away are not normal.  A cat meowing loudly as if in pain as the other bites without the other one stopping is not normal. It also would not be normal for this to be happening at literally every waking moment, but you say that they are at times affectionate, so it does not sound constant.  The pictures to me look normal and like my residents at that age when they tussled.

I think you just have energetic, playful kitties. Enjoy them- believe it or not they won't always be this energetic!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like normal kitty play to me.  That they swap round from time to time is a good thing, and that they chase and play and scrap then groom and sleep together.

If they were screeching, drawing blood and large cumps of fur were regularly been torn off it wold be serious, and it would be very frightening to watch.

It sounds like they have settled well and are exhibiting normal behaviour for domesticated cats.  Well done you for settling them in quickly, I am sure that their being kept together has helped them with this.  They look adorable so please try to relax and enjoy their play. Tulosai is right, the energy does not last forever and it can be very funny to watch them tear about the place and then snuggle up together afterwards. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fleurdelivres

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks very much for the reassurance! I'll just relax and enjoy their antics, then. So far they're not making any noise except for their little chirrup which usually seems to express interest or pleasure, and they both seem to take turns being the chaser. I was just concerned because from my ignorant human perspective they seemed like they were getting a little ferocious, but I guess they know what an appropriate level of fighting is better than I do.