Normal Reactions To Medications After Surgery?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

in a previous thread, I posted about how my cat, Milo, had a lump on his face. Long story short, vet thinks it is just a benign cyst, but we decided to get it removed just to be safe. Well we got it done today.

The vet said Milo did great with the anesthesia, but not the opiates. They brought Milo into the room and he was growling/ hissing constantly. Usually he's a happy go lucky cat so that wasn't like him at all. Also, his eyes were like half shut and you could see his other layer, they just look really glazed over.

When we got home, he ran out of his cage and was very happy to be here. However, he was super wobbly and could barely walk straight. I put a little bit of canned food out for him and he ate some of it.

It's about an hour later now and he is still pretty wobbly and unsteady. He goes to sleep for a couple minutes and then gets back up again. After walking for a bit, he almost like collapses and falls back asleep. His eyes still look the same as when we picked him up.

Is this normal??! I'm super worried about him :(( . I took him in at 8 today and they were done by 11 because that's when they called me to let me know that it went well. I would have thought that he would have been a little more alert by now. Does anyone have any advice on anything I can do to help him? any advice is really appreciated!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats, just like people, react differently to different medications. Hekitty wasn't fully awake until 24 hours after surgery, although her vet kept her overnight, just to be sure. Just to be safe, give the vet a call and describe what is happening. I'm fairly certain that this is just him taking longer than usual, but...better safe than sorry! Is his breathing normal? Any interest in food or water yet (may be a touch soon for that)?

I have a feeling that he will be much more himself by 12 hours post-op, but, as I said, give your vet a call just to be certain that all is well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats, just like people, react differently to different medications. Hekitty wasn't fully awake until 24 hours after surgery, although her vet kept her overnight, just to be sure. Just to be safe, give the vet a call and describe what is happening. I'm fairly certain that this is just him taking longer than usual, but...better safe than sorry! Is his breathing normal? Any interest in food or water yet (may be a touch soon for that)?

I have a feeling that he will be much more himself by 12 hours post-op, but, as I said, give your vet a call just to be certain that all is well.
Okay, thanks for your help. I tried calling the vet and they're already closed :(. he seems to be breathing normal. Sometimes he will breathe really fast, but when he's sleeping, it seems to be normal. Yes, he wanted food right away when we got home and ate a little bit of it. I think he's tried to eat a little bit more. He struggles keeping himself upright while eating though.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, he will probably be a bit groggy for a bit. That's why Dr. Paul kept Hekitty. He didn't want her staggering around while I was sleeping. I think it is just wearing off a bit more slowly than is normal for most cats. It is GREAT that he is eating!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep your cat confined to one room for the next few days while he recovers from the surgery and anesthesia and medicines so he doesn't potentially injure himself as he stumbles around. Most cats only need a day or two to fully recover but some cats my take longer and that would require at least a call to the vet to advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Milo seems to be doing better. He has been walking around more normally and his eyes look less glazed over. However, I changed his litter and added more a little while ago and now he's sleeping in it. Lol is this normal ?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It certainly isn't abnormal. Hekitty does that every time I do a "full reboot" of the box, rather than just scoop.