Normal play fighting or should I worry about injury?

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m almost 100% sure that it’s normal play fighting but figured it’s best to ask the experts in the room!!

We adopted a new furr-ever baby yesterday, 2 yo neutered male black cat, and he’s been a very simple and smooth addition to our home. We have an almost 3 yo tuxedo, neutered male adopted as at 6 mos, and a golden retriever, female 10 spayed and we tried a slow introduction for about an hour and by then it was obvious that both cats wanted to meet. Milo (the new guy) was adopted from a cat cafe rescue organization so had already been very social with people and other cats… as well as used to noise. Rocky, my love and resident cat, is the most social, playful and loving creature ever invented. They took to each other wonderfully. While not snuggly, they gave kisses, bum sniffs and tail rubs. Also played together and ate from the same dish, and had treats together. All in, super awesome. We let Milo be free overnight and he slept on our bed, with both Rocky and our dog… more smooth operations! Here’s my question:

its been a minute since I’ve had two cats so close in age (we started that way but it seems that we lost one of our boys early and got all off kilter). Do “teenagers” play fight all the time? These guys will gets into that whole one jumps on top of the other (rotating who is the jumper and who is the other) do rabbit kicks (if you know, you know) and neck biting. However there is generally no noise (growling, hissing, meowing or yowling) so is it safe to assume that they are just playing and I can let them go at it. I’ve been trying to stand by on the off chance that it turns nasty but so far, so good. Thankfully I mostly work from home but it would be good to know if this is just normal behaviour for this age cat!

thanks!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is probably play fighting but keep watch. As soon as one yelps I would intervene. They are old enough to start being more territorial and deciding who's the dominant one. I have had one of my cats bit hard and had to take her to the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BowserRocky

Bowser & Rocky
Young Cat
Purraise
It is probably play fighting but keep watch. As soon as one yelps I would intervene. They are old enough to start being more territorial and deciding who's the dominant one. I have had one of my cats bit hard and had to take her to the vet
Thank you! That is what I hope to avoid! I’m sure it’s play but will do my best to monitor! Thankfully they both love sleeping so it’s really only the dusk and dawn crazy hour that they tend to get super active!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That is what I hope to avoid! I’m sure it’s play but will do my best to monitor! Thankfully they both love sleeping so it’s really only the dusk and dawn crazy hour that they tend to get super active!!
Dusk and dawn is when my cat, Maggie got bit. She loves to play.. Peaches has to be the one to start the playing