normal bun but high crea

l l su

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat 6 years old, recently went for blood test.
his bun 26 within normal range but crea high 2.2
besides, tp is also high due to glob 6.1

after the blood test, vet told my my cat have a ckd.
after that, i read many articles and research, i know sdma, urine test and ultra sound should be tested also to get more accurate data, but i am in a small town, in a small country, no such advance test available yet, i asked all the vet available here, no vet actually really know about ckd, they just tell my to feed my cat with renal food.:)
and the glob, they said it is because of high protein in my cat's diet.
so, i need advice here, i found that some people said cats with high protein diet may result in slightly high crea, and also for muscular cats.
my cats eat grain free dry food + canned food in his daily diet. and he is hyperactive, love to jump everyway.

thanks

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you've heard it over & over but dry food is absolutely the worst thing you could feed a cat. Get him on wet food ASAP!

My cat went in for surgery & her creatine was elevated. They did a recheck in 2 weeks & it was still high. I was told it was the beginnings of ckd. I did make a switch to the food, I went to a lower phosphorus count. I researched & researched & decided upon Weruva (non fish). Most of their foods are a decent amount of protein & fat & phosphorus is 1% or lower. I have to do another recheck in 6 months, so I'm hoping with no pain meds & different food, she'll test normal.

I don't know how far it is to a major city for you but the Dr told me there is a specific test now to test for kidney failure it's called a SDMI test. If a cat is having kidney issues, that means the kidneys are not functioning properly, dry food really put a burden on the kidneys. Even with wet food cats can get ckd but I think with dry it's more common. I would first switch foods & then after a few months get another blood test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

l l su

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure you've heard it over & over but dry food is absolutely the worst thing you could feed a cat. Get him on wet food ASAP!

My cat went in for surgery & her creatine was elevated. They did a recheck in 2 weeks & it was still high. I was told it was the beginnings of ckd. I did make a switch to the food, I went to a lower phosphorus count. I researched & researched & decided upon Weruva (non fish). Most of their foods are a decent amount of protein & fat & phosphorus is 1% or lower. I have to do another recheck in 6 months, so I'm hoping with no pain meds & different food, she'll test normal.

I don't know how far it is to a major city for you but the Dr told me there is a specific test now to test for kidney failure it's called a SDMI test. If a cat is having kidney issues, that means the kidneys are not functioning properly, dry food really put a burden on the kidneys. Even with wet food cats can get ckd but I think with dry it's more common. I would first switch foods & then after a few months get another blood test.
yes, i know wet food is better. i am now adding more water in his wet food, i tried weruva b4, he doesn't like it
believe me, i had tried many brands (low phos/protein) including renal, he refused all of them 😂 now he is eating low phos canned food from taiwan but not low in protein. anyway, i will continue to look for the other brand.
i am gonna recheck his blood test again this weekend, just too worried about it 😰

l l su

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update

i rechecked his blood test few days ago and his glob, bun and crea are normal now.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, it's weird and unlikely that your cat's bun and crea went from slightly high levels to normal levels within days only because you made some change in his diet.
The only few things that come to my mind are:
-one of the two blood tests is wrong
-your cat might have been slighly dehydrated when he was tested the first time
-your cat hadn't been fasting enough before the first blood test

Urine testing should be your next step. If your vet can do bloodworks, they can do urinalysis as well.

l l su

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it's weird and unlikely that your cat's bun and crea went from slightly high levels to normal levels within days only because you made some change in his diet.
The only few things that come to my mind are:
-one of the two blood tests is wrong
-your cat might have been slighly dehydrated when he was tested the first time
-your cat hadn't been fasting enough before the first blood test

Urine testing should be your next step. If your vet can do bloodworks, they can do urinalysis as well.
sorry i dint mentioned properly, actually his 1st blood test was about 2-3 months ago 😅

i have one question here
(your cat hadn't been fasting enough before the first blood test)
you mean blood test require fasting? omg, i never knew it

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry i dint mentioned properly, actually his 1st blood test was about 2-3 months ago 😅

i have one question here
(your cat hadn't been fasting enough before the first blood test)
you mean blood test require fasting? omg, i never knew it
Yes, before any bloodwork, your cat (and you when you test your own blood) has to fast at least 8 hours.
When I have my cats checked, the first available appointment at the clinic is at 9 a.m., so I remove all food from their bowls at midnight (or earlier) the night before.

l l su

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, before any bloodwork, your cat (and you when you test your own blood) has to fast at least 8 hours.
When I have my cats checked, the first available appointment at the clinic is at 9 a.m., so I remove all food from their bowls at midnight (or earlier) the night before.
😨oh... ok, thanks. i will do it for his next blood test.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The need to fast before bloodwork varies - in terms of opinion - by vet. The key is to ensure you find your vet's preference and proceed accordingly. Fasting one time and not another also can affect values and make it harder to determine if the fasting or not is what made the difference. For the most part here in the US, fasting is not required any longer unless one is having glucose levels checked - from what I know, that holds true for cats as much as it does for humans. But, the best thing to do is know what your vet wants and handle as they deem necessary so that testing is consistent from time to time.

Cats that eat high protein and/or are unusually muscular will have higher creatinine levels, so it is possible to affect the creatinine level based on what a cat is eating over time.

Given your cat's age and the fact that the values of his last bloodwork were normal, I would just be monitoring him for changes or signs of issues, and check with your vet about when they would like another blood work done.