Normal? 4 Week Old Bottle Baby Still Needing Stimulated

RescueMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have hand raised a cleft palate kitten since his first day of life. I honestly did not anticipate his survival, I would have bet money on impending aspiration....but here we are 4 weeks later! He has no interest in any canned or moistened foods, and he is on a combination of powdered KMR made with water and also goats milk (half of each liquid in bottle). I am constantly battling constipation but I have him pretty cleared out for now, thanks to warm water mini-enemas and tiny slivers of suppositories. Poor guy lol. Stools are still green tinted and mucousy, though I took a sample to the vet and it checked out fine. May still be due to the recent constipation.

My main concern at this point is the fact that he still needs stimulated to pee or poo. At this age he should be going on his own. He is gaining weight right on schedule but seems developmentally behind. He isnt running or pouncing yet either. Can I blame this on the fact that he doesn't have any littermates or mom to learn from? I have hand reared before, but never a single baby.

Attachments

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he is special needs, it's not really uncommon for him to need help. If he still needs help by the time he is 6 weeks, I would be concerned. Some take a little longer to get the hang of it. I would start introducing him to a litter box now. :)

He is super adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RescueMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! His name is Presley :) I keep wondering if there are more hidden issues than just the cleft. He is happy and growing well, so I should just be satisfied with that, right? I do have a litter pan in his box where I am collecting his "deposits" when I stimulate him. I also wonder if his ears are ever going to stand up....they're super cute folded though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is adorable! :redheartpump:

I agree that he just needs extra time - possibly even to 8 weeks.

Have you consulted a vet about possible surgery for his cleft palate?

I would suggest a round of Albon to help with his mucusy stools. He may have bacteria in his gut that the Albon will treat.

You can also add a few drops of olive oil to his bottles. It should help him to poop.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Presley looks like such a sweet boy! :redheartpump:

RescueMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is adorable! :redheartpump:

I agree that he just needs extra time - possibly even to 8 weeks.

Have you consulted a vet about possible surgery for his cleft palate?

I would suggest a round of Albon to help with his mucusy stools. He may have bacteria in his gut that the Albon will treat.

You can also add a few drops of olive oil to his bottles. It should help him to poop.

RescueMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did take him in for an exam after he survived the first few days. She listened to heart and lungs....everything sounded great and she was optimistic about surgical repair once he gets old enough. Feeding has been quite the unique experience. He is the sweetest little soul. I will start adding a drop or two of oil and will call the vet about doing a round of Albon.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aw he is soooooooo adorable xxxxxx amazing you didn't think he would make it and here you are. Thank you for looking after him so well. really hope all continues to go well. Take each day at a time xxx and post more pictures, his ears are super cute!! love his little face, I can see he is a beautiful sweet soul xxx

RescueMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he has other issues. I googled feline Down syndrome....and it actually exists. Symptoms include unusual eyes, droopy ears, wobbly, poor muscle tone. All apply to Presley. He also is uncoordinated (was suspecting cerebral hypoplasia) and he moves at turtle speed for everything. His reaction time is always a second or two behind. Anyone have any insight?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking CH also. I do know that he can live a mostly normal life as a "special" kitty though! :)

RescueMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just praying he is able to eventually potty on his own and in the right place. He is also bow legged.