Nook

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About having the e-reader read the book to you: how does it sound? Is it a pleasant, natural voice, or is it more like the device Stephen Hawking uses? Do you have a choice of voices? Can you download the recorded audiobook instead of, or along with, the e-reader version?

I won't be able to buy one of these things anytime soon, but oh, the fantasies I'm having!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I have been reading some of the reviews that say a backlit screen is bad for the reasons you mention, but one of the things I thoiught would be cool about having a reader is that I could read in bed when DH is sleeping or watching tv with the light off. Really, though, I could use a book light on a regular book just as easily.
I spent $2 at Walmart and got a little led clip on light. Works perfect after some adjusting they may ones for the kindle that are flatter and spread the light better but they are about $30

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

About having the e-reader read the book to you: how does it sound? Is it a pleasant, natural voice, or is it more like the device Stephen Hawking uses? Do you have a choice of voices? Can you download the recorded audiobook instead of, or along with, the e-reader version?

I won't be able to buy one these things anytime soon, but oh, the fantasies I'm having!
I don't use that feature or audio-books, but the voices sound pretty natural, and you can choose between male and female. It's not available for all books.

Right now I'm reading a German book on my Kindle, so I turned the voice feature on: Whoever is reading it has an American accent, which is pretty funny!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I won't be able to buy one these things anytime soon, but oh, the fantasies I'm having!
Here's the good news. According to a number of tech reporters I've heard, e-readers are going to be the new MP3 player in the electronics field. That is, ones that cost hundreds of dollars just a short time ago will fall down in the "disposable electronics" price range. I bought my brother a 500 mb mp3 player a few years ago and paid nearly $100 for it. This week, I bought him an 8GB unit with video display and paid $33 for it. I have heard opinions that the basic e-readers will be down in the $50 range very shortly. The Kindle doesn't have far to go; the basic unit right now is $114.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Here's the good news. According to a number of tech reporters I've heard, e-readers are going to be the new MP3 player in the electronics field. That is, ones that cost hundreds of dollars just a short time ago will fall down in the "disposable electronics" price range. I bought my brother a 500 mb mp3 player a few years ago and paid nearly $100 for it. This week, I bought him an 8GB unit with video display and paid $33 for it. I have heard opinions that the basic e-readers will be down in the $50 range very shortly. The Kindle doesn't have far to go; the basic unit right now is $114.
Sounds like a good reason to hold off buying one for now.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr. Blanche, what MP3 player would your recommend? I've got a million CDs, but have held off on getting an Ipod or MP3 player since they seemed so expensive (although sounds like they're getting cheaper!). I had an Amazon gift certificate which I used for my Kindle - but I have to admit that when it hit the $129 or whatever mark, it looked way more attractive than its original pricing!

Oh, any thoughts about a GPS for the car? Another thing I'd like but didn't want to spend a lot on. Thanks for any thoughts on the topic.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not Mr. Blanche but I love the Sansa Clip+. The memory card slot makes it so I'm not restricted on how much music and audiobooks I can carry with me. You can load regular mp3s and wmas, library music and audiobooks through OverDrive (the library ebook lending system), Audible audiobooks, FM radio, podcasts like Rhapsody, etc. The 2gb model starts at $30.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Oh, any thoughts about a GPS for the car? Another thing I'd like but didn't want to spend a lot on. Thanks for any thoughts on the topic.
I just got a Garmin Nuvi 1300 recently for $99. I like it so far. The guy at the store where I bought it said there is no reason to upgrade to the lifetime maps because they don't change that often and by the time you need new maps, you'll also need a new GPS. Also the traffic feature is only good in certain big cities, so its not worth the upgrade either. Also I think there was one upgrade that just had the addition of Canada and some places in Europe, so if you aren't travelling abroad, its not worth the extra $$.

One problem is that it doesn't come with a cable to connect to the computer, which you need to register and charge. If you have one that fits, it will work, but its a small one. I bought one for about $3 so its not that big a deal. Kind of irritating they don't supply it though.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what I just bought for my brother:

Coby MP3 player

I got the 8GB version. List price was $69.99, originally. It was marked down to $43.99, plus at additional 25% off, plus my 10% employee discount (I got it at a Toys R Us store, where they're closing out that model). Like I say, the price on these things is going down fast. The 8GB ipod touch is $200, still, but you can get 32GB for not that much more.

The only disadvantage is that it won't play m4b format, which is the itunes audiobook format.

When it comes to GPS, you're out of my league. I need to get one myself. The built-in turn-by-turn instructions in our new car just expired.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

I spent $2 at Walmart and got a little led clip on light. Works perfect after some adjusting they may ones for the kindle that are flatter and spread the light better but they are about $30
I have the integrated cover for my Kindle....with the reading light. Yes, it cost me a bit but I figured if I was going to spend the money on the Kindle then I would go the extra. Can't say I'm sorry.