Noob With A Question About Allergies

IronKondor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm a long time dog owner and have always wanted a cat. I love animals. I've had rabbits, snakes, parrots, dogs, spiders, and more. Unfortunately, my wife is allergic to cats. If she is around them for an extended period of time, or they lick or scratch her, she gets weezy, red watery eyes, and a rash.

I was hoping there would be others on here with a similar problem. I've looked into the so-called hypoallergenic cats and am definitely interested in them, such as the Russian Blue. Just curious if anyone had any advice, or if there is anyone who has overcome cat allergies.

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section. I will post elsewhere if so. Thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:welcomesign: to TCS!

We already have an article and some threads about that very thing:

Living With Cat Allergy
Allergy to cats?
Anyone Here Allergic To Their Cats?
How To Deal With Pet Allergy?
Mild Cat Allergies? Living With It?

Personally, I am allergic to cats (among lots of other things) and I made the decision many years ago that I won't let that keep me from having cats in my life. I currently have two (plus a third who lives with us). I take a daily pill and nasal spray for my allergies plus another medication for asthma caused by allergies. If the cats weren't with us I just wouldn't be on the nasal spray because my allergies include year round items anyways.

I know there are (so called) hypoallergenic cats but I don't put much stock in them. That just means that a majority of people with allergies react markedly less to them. Not that everyone will react less. Add on the problem with people who claim to have a specific breed with no pedigree to back it up and down that path lies madness. I will say, that I have noticed I have less of a reaction to both of my pointed cats then other cats. Link though gives me the least problem, and he is probably closer to pure Siamese, while Rocket gives me a smidgen more.

When I was looking for a cat I went to adoption events, shelters and rescues. If someone caught my eye I would ask to hold or meet them then make sure to touch my face with my hands and walk far away and wait. See how long it took me to react to them and how severe it was (of course I had Benadryl and my rescue inhaler with me and I was only touching one or two cats at a place). Many cats caused a problem within minutes, a few were nearly instant. I ended up getting Link without any of that through a sequence of events right when I was about to give up.

I have found that I seem to have less problem adjusting to kittens who grow up in our house. My theory is small cat = less allergens and as my body adjusts to them they grow up and increase allergen. So naturally incremental increase. That first year though is a pain with me popping Benadryl quite frequently.

Keeping the house clean and reducing the number of cloth surfaces helps. We don't have curtains, have just small area rugs on hardwood floor and a leather couch. So everything is fairly easy to clean and nothing that the allergens can build up on easily. I always make the bed and the top blanket is not one that is used when sleeping (that way if the cats nap on the bed during the day their allergens are on the blanket I don't use). Which seems kinda silly since most nights Rocket sleeps with me, but when I don't have a top blanket I do have to change bedding twice a week instead of once a week.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hello there! Welcome to TCS! We’re glad to have you here.

Regarding allergies, it can be complicated. The allergenic protein that cats produce is called Fel d 1. This is found in their saliva, so when they groom themselves, the saliva dries and then the Fel d 1 coats their hair.

While there is no truly hypoallergenic cat, there are cats who produce less of the Fel d1 protein. These are typically considered to be the Siberian and the LaPerm, although some have had luck with the Devon Rex, Cornish Rex, Oriental, and Russian Blue.

Notice I said “some have had luck with”. You see, each person’s cat allergy is different. So one person might have a reaction to a Russian Blue but be okay around Siberians, whole another might have no problem with Russian Blues but then start sneezing around a Siberian. The best is if you can contact a breeder, explain your situation, and see if they let you come over for a “test run”, to see how your wife reacts to that specific breed.

I hope this helps!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hairless cats are no less likely to cause issues. The allergy is to a protein in the saliva and hairless cats also groom themselves. Kieka gave you some good advice. I have also heard of people making the bedroom offlimits to cats. I have also heard of people wiping down their cats with a damp cloth every few days. Of course cats will still clean themselves and get the allergens on themselves again but it cuts down on the buildup.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm managing very well with the following regiment:

1. Bought a couple of air purifiers for our bedroom and living room. The ones I have are by Rabbit Air. Expensive but working fantastic! They have special filters geared to whatever allergen is your worst problem. I have seasonal allergies also. We're using the one for pets since we have no intention of kicking the cats out of the bedroom - or anywhere else.
2. I take a daily prescription medication as needed, which is pretty much all year (although less needed in winter).
3. Clean, clean, clean! We are kind of lax on that front but having NO carpet, minimal area rugs and other fabric surfaces will help. Our couch is leather which is easy to wipe off. Took up all area rugs other than a couple of very small ones needed in the bedroom. Swifter is your friend!
4. I also use a nasal spray (over the counter, Nasacort works good) and medicated eye drops if needed. I rarely need either of those.
5. I also have inhalers on hand just in case. But that's more for the seasonal allergies than the cats.

Overall, since I've been doing all those things (about a year now) my allergies are barely an issue at all.