Non-mother Cat Excessively Licking Newborn Kittens Bottom

Kottin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I have 10 month female cat that won't stop licking (kitten's bottom), biting and carrying newborn kittens around and recently outside of the nest, she is obsessed with them and sometime single out one of the 5 kittens (1-2 week old), she does this when they are asleep or even while the kittens are nursing, I don't think she intend to harm them but she is playing with them as if they are toys/drugs. The kittens are trying to cry out but she quickly bite their neck to stop them.

The cat is friend with the mother, and the mother doesn't seems to care much but she also a new mother (1y old), I separated them several time specially the first week cuz I didn't like the behavior.. I let her visit occasionally and keep watch myself, but I got tired of the mother not caring (she does her duty perfectly but outside of that she doesn't give a #^#@.) so I moved the nest outside my room and stopped caring altogether, I thought if the mother doesn't see any problem with the other cat then maybe it's ok?

Anyway today I woke up and saw the cat moved one the kitten outside of the nest, while the mother is nursing the other 4, and thought that's it, I separated them again, and moved the nest back, the cat is crying and meowing loudly (she never meowed before..).

So is this normal behavior from the female cat? should I continue to separate them?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the mother and the kittens away from the other cats. The mother is caring for her kittens and they are safe. That’s enough. Don’t judge her care of them.

Do you need help finding a low cost clinic to spay and neuter? Are you keeping your females inside and 100% away from intact males? Much of this behavior is motivated by hormones.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Separate them completely. If the other cat licks too hard, she can hurt the kittens badly. The mother cat will handle everything. She doesn’t need help. If the other cat isn’t spayed, do so now. It should lessen or stop the behavior with the kittens.