non-clumping litter: how often to completely dump the box?

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm using non-clumping litter for the first time, with my foster mama and kittens ( kittens have their own box). How often is it recommended to completely replace the litter when only 1 cat is using the box? How deep should I make the litter? 

Sorry for the newbie questions, I normally use Tidy Cat Breeze for my cats so I just scoop the poop and then check the urine pads. 

I think I may have put too much litter in the box, since it's non clumping and you can't scoop the urine I added extra. Probably 2-3 inches in the mamas box. Should I use less but completely dump more often?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using non-clumping litter for the first time, with my foster mama and kittens ( kittens have their own box).

My only experience, with non-clumping litter is with my F3 Savannah, when, he was alive. So, please keep that in mind. But, I did use it, weekly, for the three years, that, my Savannah was alive.

How often is it recommended to completely replace the litter when only 1 cat is using the box?

Well, with hybrids, the box has to be SUPPER CLEAN. So, when, he was a kitten, I scooped it, whenever, he had used it. Meaning, had a bowel movement. I would clean the box, twice a week, from, when Loki was about 12 weeks old till eight months old. Once, he was older and used the largest and highest litter box, I could find, it was scooped, yet again, whenever, he used the box. But, the whole box, was, changed every single Sunday.

How deep should I make the litter? 

For my F3 Savannah, he liked a supper clean box, so, I had to make sure, he, NEVER, had to touch his own urine. Plus, it was a huge box(s). So, I had to put about 15lbs of litter in EACH of his boxes.

Now, I am not sure, that, I helped you
. But, I wanted to try and help.

Should I use less but completely dump more often?

I think, that, depends on the cats preferences, as well as, your personal preference. Though, that, is just my

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm scooping every day but I wasn't sure if I needed to dump the litter once a week or multiple times a week since the urine can't be scooped. So far I've been going by how much dark colored litter is in the box vs the lighter dry litter. I was planning on dumping once a week at the least and more often if needed. Just started using using it so I'll see how it goes. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, at least once a week for non-clumping. The odor control doesn't usually work for much longer than that. . .:eek:. With a bunch of kitties using it, maybe more often. Just use your nose :lol3:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm dumping the kittens box every 2 days because it's much smaller and 3 kittens are using it. Mamas box is too big for them to get into yet so she is the only one using that one.