No signs of labour/overdue?

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When do I start to worry?

My 9 month old rescue cat "Kitten" is surely overdue or close to it. I don't know her exact conception date though I do remember when roughly and I thought for sure she would have them by now.

She's shown absolutely no signs of labour, I have read everything I can on Google, her stomach is tight and swollen like a basket ball, her mammary glands and nipples are swollen too.
No nesting, no affection, no milk, no nothing! All she does is eat, she doesn't stop, and she screams at me for more like she's dying. It's super premium food too, I thought she would have slowed down by now.
She is tiny herself, and her kittens feel huge and the movement has slowed but I can see it's gotten harder and obviously causing her pain. I'm worried she won't birth easily.

Has anyone else experienced a cat who's just not showing the "classic" signs or similar? She's so relaxed and I'm going out of my mind.
If kittens are born healthy they will be desexed as per my state law before adoption, as will she.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds ready to go into labor at any time now. Let her eat as much as she wants. You should begin to see signs of labor real soon. Most cats do not have trouble, so all you can do right now is be patient :).

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 We can try guess when she's due if we take note of her signs and when the started. Maybe it'll relax you a bit, because she will feel you are stressed or worried.

Have you seen and/or feel the kittens move? And if so, around when did it start?

How long ago did her nipples pink up?

When did she started to show?

Has she been nesting around the house?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeling the kittens for a few weeks now, no nesting, her mammory glands only started to swell perhaps three days ago and absolutely no nesting - she's not a very nesty sort of cat, it's winter here so she spends a lot of her time in the lounge room.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then she is indeed due soon. You should be able to see the kittens move for around 2 to 3 weeks before labor sets in. It doesnt sound like she's overdue tho, so good luck with waiting the final few days and lots of luck to you and her!

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's not particularly cuddly today, perhaps because I haven't fed her yet.
There was reduced foetal movement last night and now today there seems to be almost none except a few odd pokes.
No discharge or distress so I'm not worried, she seems fine apart from her indifferent mood.

In all my years of foster caring I've only ever reared kittens or accommodated nursing mothers, pregnancy is new to me as we usually use our foster carers for that lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnant cats are extremely affectionate. It's as though they are practicing for motherhood!

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking very uncomfortable - clipped around her back end and nipples the other day to help her in the birthing process, she very fluffy on her bottom half.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that will help. She's got to be getting very close. No signs of discharge or dilation yet?

madelinegloria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: She gave birth the night I posted - right on my bed! 5 healthy kittens, all placentas delivered. She was too tired to deliver the last so I had to assist her.
Am also toileting them at the moment as she's a bit lazy - other than that she and the kittens are doing fine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's awesome!

Some first-time moms have a tough time getting the hang of everything. I'm glad the kittens are healthy and you are able to help her :).